What's new
What's new

Vortex ; imachining ; waveform milling?? Different name for same tool paths?

Acejunker

Plastic
I was just seeing a few videos of machining with CAM, after seeing them I couldn't help but notice that all these are identical. They ramp to the required depth and use the entire length of the end mills, engaging the entire length of cutting edge.

Yes, they're all a high speed machining toolpath.
imachining being the dumbest name of them all. Using the entire flute length with about 10%-15% stepover is very efficient and allows for very fast speeds and feeds due to chip thinning.

Are the cutting parameters decided by CAM? I have been told that we need to enter the material and the machine specifications. The rest is taken care by the software.

iMachining takes care of all your parameters once you set up your machine and tell it what material you're using. You use a slider to choose how aggressive you want to be. All the parameters are there to set manually well but I've never needed to fiddle with any of them except the horsepower setting. My "20" hp Haas doesn't like a sustained cut programmed to use 18hp.
All the different strategies are the same in that they use the same principal's to achieve their goal but they go about it slightly differently because the specifics tend to be patented
Jordy

Only some of them take care of it "for you" but it still requires knowledge and experience to know how to work paramaters correctly. Some software strategies are different than others. For example, Volumill uses a baseline stepover and nominal feedrate to calculate a constant chipload by varying the feedrate in the cut, whereas HSMWorks strives for a constant stepover at the nominal feedrate, although internal corners can be modified to suit tooling or preference.

The general principle is the same, but the methods vary. Being good at utilizing your tools takes time with the software and the machines you're running. Nothing is ever really done for you.

Yes, they're all a high speed machining toolpath.
imachining being the dumbest name of them all. Using the entire flute length with about 10%-15% stepover is very efficient and allows for very fast speeds and feeds due to chip thinning.

That explains you don't know how to use imachining

Does it mean that solidcam has a distinct advantage over others. Since it eliminates most of the R&D with parameters.

I like to think so but I'm biased I'm sure because I've got so much money sunk into it. On the other hand I've never had to manually adjust any feeds and speeds with iMachining. It works flawlessly every time i use it, which is a lot.
Jordy

I used "Vortex" a lot (Featurecam), always worked well.
Running Fusion 360 now and there's now discernible difference in the way it handles HSM toolpaths, I need to be very careful from my puss powered spindle at home so I find it rather effective. I can't stand fusion360's interface or how it's 99% online but hey, it's free.

That explains you don't know how to use imachining

You're right I don't know how to use it, and I never will.
I don't use anything that has an i in front of it. Because I'm not a fan of companies that think putting an i at the beginning of the product name will make it better or sell more. Leave the i to Apple.

As far as I know imachining is the only program that generates all the parameters automatically according to your machine spindle power , work material and tool . Even it lets you change them if you wish to

As far as I know imachining is the only program that generates all the parameters automatically according to your machine spindle power , work material and tool . Even it lets you change them if you wish to

I think you'll find featurecam does this well with vortex machining.

Are there any Edgecam users? Would like to know the feedback regarding the use and effectiveness of waveform milling.

I'm an Edgecam user and use Waveform every chance I get. Very easy to use and control and tool life has totally exceeded my expectations. We've ran 50 pc orders running tradition tool paths using anywhere between 5-7 endmills and with Waveform, we only use 2 endmills to do that same 50 pc order and not to mention a 20-30% reduction in cycle times. Although Edgecam doesnt allow you to control your chip load per tooth like some of the other Cam softwares, but controlling your step-over percentage between 12-18% is very effective and will be able to run in any machine so long has it has the capabilities.

Back