What's new
What's new

What geometry gives CAMWorks a good test?

Rewt

Hot Rolled
We've got a CAMWorks guy coming in to give a demonstration, and he's going to program a die detail of ours. However, I have a better idea, I want to test the program against something that's going to give it a go.

Boss wants to use one of the form details (female) that make the ribs you see in your oven, the ones the rack slides in and out on. While I think we should see how it handles what details we already have, I think we should also be looking at what kind of geometry may come down the pipe. (Our part designers, I swear, are smoking weed)

So, my question for the CAMWorks programmers here, what kind of geometry does CAMWorks struggle with?

REWT, now that's some cool forming. I have not used CAMWorks, but if evaluating-- I'd want to see it's re-machining (pencil milling) strategies, how it navigates sharp corners (or pockets) where basic geometry offset strategies typically overload the cutter at the angles(think about overloading on triangular geometry). I'd like to see how it does pre-machining and I'd want to set up a couple known collisions to see if the CAM detects the collision on the screen(i.e., too short of an endmill for a feature.

Back