What's new
What's new

SolidCAM artifacting

Poe

Plastic
Long story short, I built a brand-spanking new computer for the programmers.

Here are the specs:

i5-2500K
Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 rev 1.1
16 GB DDR3 16000
nVidia Quadro 2000
1TB HD.

The problem though, arises when they start using SolidCAM. You may have heard about this problem before, but the biggest problem is where anything that involves wireframes, most notably the coordinate systems, leaves severe artifacting as you move the model around, generally leaving it a smudge of red/green/blue instead of clear arrows.

I can't screenshot the parts, but I did find an example where someone else was experiencing the same thing, and it looks a little like this:

Capture.PNG

I've tried two things, thus far. One of the solutions that I have been able to find after consulting with the all-knowing oracle Go'Ogle was to roll back to older drivers. I have tried several older drivers dating back to late 2010 thus far with no improvement. (The thread over on ******* that I found it involved 8-series nVidia cards, so that's probably not going to work anyways.)

The other thing I tried was to enable software emulation of OpenGL, which *did* fix the problem, which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with nVidia drivers in general as far as OpenGL is concerned. But let's face it, I just built this computer to RIP through programming and 3D modelling, and I would like to avoid having to use the software OpenGL.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Ideas? Brilliant flashes of insight that can only be found here?

You probably already did it but make sure you’re using the Solidworks recommended driver
Graphics Card Drivers | SolidWorks

Also which version of Solidcam are you using. If you’re using 2011 that may be the problem since they have said that version is so full of bugs and unstable that they cancelled the release until SP1.

You probably already did it but make sure you’re using the Solidworks recommended driver
Graphics Card Drivers | SolidWorks

Also which version of Solidcam are you using. If you’re using 2011 that may be the problem since they have said that version is so full of bugs and unstable that they cancelled the release until SP1.

That's correct. I am already using the 259.57 drivers that were certified. (Although I found it by going through nVidia's driver database instead.)

We have SolidCam 2010 here. The programmers won't touch 2011 with a ten foot pole. (Or a ten-foot-and-then-some pole, for that matter.)

Back