What's new
What's new

What's the biggest 2.5D CAD/CAM file you've made?

hammerhead74000

Stainless
Well, the title kinda' says it all... And by biggest, I mean how many polygons/lines/drill points, etc - not "well, I once had this file with a 60-foot long slot in it, but it was only one line". Also, I'm not asking about complex 3D compound-curve-nurbs moulds - I know those things get doggon big, doggon fast - just stuff that can be done on a drawing in one or two views.

The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to get a handle on what the nastiest thing that somebody is likely to throw at SideWinder is, performance-wise...

Well actual cad (Solidworks) or cam (Gibbs) file as in the actual file size about 50MB was about the largest so far :eek: . For a posted g code file about 30 MB. Most of the time files are in the 5-10 MB range for cad files and about 1 meg for g code.

ARB

Ideally, how many entities in the file, but posted G-Code size gives a hint as to that. CAD file size will vary, due to the varying encoding methods that different file types have...

In it's present, un-optimized state, it starts bogging down at around 1000 entities, and gets really slow at around 10000...

in 2.5d engraving will be without a doubt the most intense. try engraving the declaration of independence in true script....if it will handle that I'd say you are set.

Ahh... but it's not quite that simple. You see, the interactive on-screen display of a string is done with the system's font renderer, but is converted to paths and streamed out to the G-Code file in a batch manner (i.e., when you post the program). What's going to strain the system are drawings with lots of elements that need to be manipulated and rendered in real-time, not text...

So, what's the most complex mechanical drawing/CAM-file you've ever made?

>> 3 terrastrypes is 25 lines

Then, 25 million lines? Now, is that lines of G-Code, Pi-Code, or... ??? Umm... lines on the back of a napkin?

^^--41 hour cycle. 117 tools. Hydrogen compressors. 11 tons raw 6 finished. That was the master. The compiled was only 191K. I think the job paid $300,000.It was all cad assisted LMAO. The compiler however was prepriatary:( That was R&D. Now the forging cuts the time by 1/10th.

1/10? original program musta really sucked. try using edgecam next time

edgecam didn't exsist at that time. There was alot of piston bore's going in and out of cavities in the project. You have absolutely no idea about what is possible Pi hole. You couldn't even imagine what was involved in the project and was rejected by 30 shops before we made a bid. We did compeditors work so cameron iron works didn't want us to even see the project. You win bro, you have run me off of this forum. To be insulted by someone who is so behind in the evolution in programming is down right wrong.

L8r
Eq

PS: 1/10 is also .100 or a tenth. It shouldn't be that hard to follow. say hi to your sis and mom for me

270-fat2.jpg

edgecam didn't exsist at that time
neither was i. but we are now and we dont live in the past. one more fine example of why old people are useless.

PS: 1/10 is also .100 or a tenth. It shouldn't be that hard to follow
no kidding. i was expressing amazement that the original was 10x larger. i guess i shoulda spelled that out. my fault. shoulda remembered where i was.
this also explains why you spend so much time with computer games

say hi to your sis and mom for me
]
oh, so THESE are the chicks you have in your book!!! perhaps that large $300,000 job you did was a bed frame for the 3 of you? you must be under the impression my last name is PI. it isn't. but looks like these chicks may have changed their last name to Pie in honor of their favorite food. i can see the confusion now.
roflmfao

these ladies must also be the reason why you spend so much time playing pc games

Back