What's new
What's new

Workstation need help

Pitty920

Aluminum
I have been given an approximate budget of $4.5k i would prefer to build it and actually get our moneys worth but they seem to want a dell precision.
So i need some help i run mastercam 2018 and solidworks 2018 simultaneously and about 3 instances of mastercam. I currently have a xeon e3 something one of the mid to lower end ones and a quadro 2000. I am contently waiting on the computer it gets worse every year the parts are now 5 years old. So.. what i want to knownis can mastercam run dual cpu?? Cause a lot of workstations have them.
Cpu: the best i can get i think mcam 2018 actually utilizes the xeons much better but maybe the i7 is still king. I want the beast i can get that does most of the work
Gpu: next steo up from my k2000 and at least 3Gb ram
Memory: 32-64GB DDR4 high clocking
Ssd: i want a 512gb pcie one for sure
Then whatever u guys suggest for a hdd
Pau: was thinking corsair atx1200 modular but whatever is best

** any input on dell and their builds all i can see is they cost much more than what u get in parts.
*** can i buy a dell shell with mobi and cpu and psu and add in the rest?
** other options for custom workstation builds.
Any input is appreciated answer whatever u can ..
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the poor spelling my break is over so had limited time to type

Go for a Dell Refurbished desktop, the only thing I'd short is the memory, all the rest I'd get what I wanted for storage and video. Do get a good video card, a P4000, K6000 or so. Get a good monitor (or two), the new cards will drive four 4K displays.

Get a good extended warranty, Dell support is US based and the reason I keep buying them. I just got a free pre-formatted HD to replace one that I damaged through my own error, and can keep the old drive if I am able to recover it.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnline...HQy7/in2kXSE/Atvv7eXJAJq30BUSOE46uqu5btBeHg==

Graphics Cards for Pro Design Workstations | NVIDIA Quadro

Ditch the Xeon, get an i7 3960X or even the i9 Extreme variant.
ssd = Samsung Evo,Samsung Pro 850 or 950 will work fine.
Build your own if you can, you'll get WAY more bang for the buck.
I hate Dell with a passion.

Ditch the Xeon, get an i7 3960X or even the i9 Extreme variant.
ssd = Samsung Evo,Samsung Pro 850 or 950 will work fine.
Build your own if you can, you'll get WAY more bang for the buck.
I hate Dell with a passion.

There's gotta be a story behind the malice, what happened?

I gave up worrying about "building my own" a long time ago, modern machines are so powerful and so cheap that my time's more valuable than getting the last dollar squeezed out of a computer.

I gave up worrying about "building my own" a long time ago, modern machines are so powerful and so cheap that my time's more valuable than getting the last dollar squeezed out of a computer.

Are you joking? Maybe for a pos best buy special but we sent a client workstation proposal. He told my system was $3,000 cheaper then the dell variant even with my building fee.

It's WAY WAY cheaper to build your own.
As for hating Dell, typically they don't tell you what motherboard you have, brand and model of RAM is a secret,so is the power supply, all you know is what cpu,hard drive and video card you have.
THEN, they build it to minimal power specs, with almost zero room for self upgrading in the future.
Want to add another GPU? Too bad, the motherboard only has 1 pci-e slot.

And don't even think of buying one from SolidBoxx unless you love getting raped with prices. Sure you can have them build it to you liking, but everything is DOUBLE the price of buying the parts yourself. I'm not exaggerating lol. The pc I built for myself (less monitors) cost me $3k out of pocket.
Just for shits and giggles I checked the Boxx site and they wanted almost $7k!!! Is 4 thousand dollars for a warranty worth it to you? Not me.
Besides, building one is so simple, you can do it yourself in half a day, even faster if you've done it a couple of times.

last place I worked bought used HP Z800's off ebay/CL for $5-800. You could have multiple windows of UG NX/Surfcam etc open and never notice any speed degradation, I wonder if you would see any meaningfull difference between a modern $4.5k (or so) workstatation and a (for instance) HP Z800 for 99% of the stuff you do. I now buy Z800's and HP 87XX laptops for home use.

I keep forgetting that computer builds are almost as fraught as talking about religion. I guess I'm just getting old (yup!), I'd rather have someone else do it for me, and get good support down the road. I don't doubt for a second that many of you could do it faster/cheaper, but can I call you at 2am and have you send out a replacement drive next day?

Not a nerd, can't build my own computer and don't intend on learning. I bought a Boxx for just south of your budget and it kicks ass. I got backed in to a corner with mastercam crashing constantly on large 3D parts, bought the Boxx and problem solved. Tech support is in the US, although I've never needed it. Call 'em up, tell them you're running Solidworks and Mastercam (in my case), and they know exactly what you need.

Think about what you spend the most time waiting for on your computer. If you're like me it's Mastercam's single-threaded operations like stock models and "legacy" surfacing toolpaths. Right now the king of the hill for single-threaded performance is the i7-8700K:
PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Single Thread Performance

With six cores it's no slouch for multi-thread either.

Then I'd get 64GB of fast RAM, and some Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD's.

The video card is a hotly debated subject, but it's unanimous that Mastercam prefers Nvidia. For the most part you'll get more bang for the buck from a high end GeForce, but some swear by the Quadros and if you're planning on using Solidworks' simulation or rendering capabilities you'll need it.

Then get at least two, preferably three monitors. I put the Mastercam graphics window in the center one, my email and prints on the left, and the operations manager, planes manager, and levels manager on the right.

I keep forgetting that computer builds are almost as fraught as talking about religion. I guess I'm just getting old (yup!), I'd rather have someone else do it for me, and get good support down the road. I don't doubt for a second that many of you could do it faster/cheaper, but can I call you at 2am and have you send out a replacement drive next day?

But when u say cheaper i dont know if you realize how much. A $6500 dell is only a $3000 build!!! I mean wtf!!!

As for hating Dell, typically they don't tell you what motherboard you have, brand and model of RAM is a secret,so is the power supply, all you know is what cpu,hard drive and video card you have.
THEN, they build it to minimal power specs, with almost zero room for self upgrading in the future.

And don't even think of buying one from SolidBoxx unless you love getting raped with prices. Sure you can have them build it to you liking, but everything is DOUBLE the price of buying the parts yourself. I'm not exaggerating lol. The pc I built for myself (less monitors) cost me $3k out of pocket.
Just for shits and giggles I checked the Boxx site and they wanted almost $7k!!! Is 4 thousand dollars for a warranty worth it to you? Not me.
Besides, building one is so simple, you can do it yourself in half a day, even faster if you've done it a couple of times.

Ive built my own gaming rig i have zero experience with a work station. I dont want to look like an idiot and order all this stuff and not be able to do it lol. From what i remember after installing the mobo and cpu it was easy. The hardest part was not making a rats nest out of all the cords. Modular psu’s will help with that.
I have done a thread before and i think u said that a pcie ssd is not worth it but others say it is more than worth it. I need any help i can get . We typically run 3 instances of mastercam 2018 and 1 solidworks 2018. Then all the lost processing stuff and the 3d mouse. The main issue i think is the cpu though 2018 is starting to max it out actually in some paths. It still crawls when offsetting surfaces and stuff... yea well if it is cool i may need your help if we assemble it. I just got done setting up our 2nd monitor it is very nice to have that. Be it having a print on one or solidworks or even 2 mastercams. The only annoying part is having parameters and pop up boxes on the wrong screen half the time. Unless i am doing something wrong it seems like u can only designate those to one screen.

We currently have a Nvidia K2000 i think. 2GB. From what i can tell it worka just fine and is not part if the issue. I will probably just get the current equvilant but with 3-4GB and maybe the M3000 or whatever the one that cost about $650.
As for CPU please give me the top choices for i7 and approx price for like the best 3 u would suggest

I would need help finding a workstation case and mobo also. Would a corsair 1200ATX Be enough power?
Suggested cases?

Back