Workstation need help - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would just contact M98custom and have him build you a PC. I've had him build me 2 already and plan to have him build me 2 more before the end of the year

2. Likes m98custom1212 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    I would just contact M98custom and have him build you a PC. I've had him build me 2 already and plan to have him build me 2 more before the end of the year
    I thought of that but not sure if our company would do that. They have charge numbers and preferred vendors. They can be real silly about stuff like that even if its cheaper. If he had like a Llc i might be able to convince them. We have a IT guy i am asking him if he would consider piecing it together with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by m98custom1212 View Post
    Are you joking? Maybe for a pos best buy special but we sent a client workstation proposal. He told my system was $3,000 cheaper then the dell variant even with my building fee.
    So do you do builds on the side? Or are u a company or work for one? Everyone seems to recommend you. If you could work with me on getting a quote. I was told to put i. For a dell precision get the price to what we are looking at... get it approved then use that money to have it custom built. If your interested let me know or message me.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pitty920 View Post
    I would need help finding a workstation case and mobo also. Would a corsair 1200ATX Be enough power?
    Suggested cases?

1200w is overkill unless you're running 2 GTX Titan's in SLI mode. Get an 850 FULLY modular power supply from Corsair.
    Case? There are so many to choose from it's crazy. Thousands. You want an ATX case that has at least 3 or 4 fan slots.
    Take note of the sizes. Usually they are 120mm or 140mm fan slots. You can go balls out on a case and spend $300 for something that looks new age, or you can keep it simple and buy a plain black case for $80.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ive built my own gaming rig i have zero experience with a work station. I dont want to look like an idiot and order all this stuff and not be able to do it lol.
    The only thing that REALLY makes it a workstation is popping in an Nvidia Quadro instead of a gaming video card.
    At work I'm using a gaming rig for Mastercam, always have. And I really haven't had any issues.
    Scratch that... My computer slowed down when opening and rotating an assembly with 175 solids in it. That's a huge file for us typically.
    If you buy a Quadro, get the one that is at least $2,000. Because the GTX1080Ti video card is a monster and covers a lot of ground that the lower Quadros can do.

7. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    can I call you at 2am and have you send out a replacement drive next day?
    Absolutely! I'll only charge 95% of what Boxx charges you.
    For this drive here, I'll sell it to you for the low low cost of $300, Boxx will charge you more.
    SAMSUNG 85 EVO 2.5" 5GB SSD SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Drive MZ-75E5B/AM - Newegg.com
    See there! I'm already saving you money!

9. Likes Pitty920 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So do you do builds on the side? Or are u a company or work for one? Everyone seems to recommend you. If you could work with me on getting a quote. I was told to put i. For a dell precision get the price to what we are looking at... get it approved then use that money to have it custom built. If your interested let me know or message me.
    Thanks

Pming you

m98custom1212

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pitty where u at in cheddar?
    My Brother is a tool and die maker also, works a Strowig in Richfield.

Well I'll chime in, here @ ASU we have to get Dell's, used to run the big T5500's, now the small form factors T1700's.
    ASU has a 3 yr, replacement schedule, so here is what I do on these little wonders, SW and HSMWorks, surfcam, FeatureCam, NX, Powershape\Mill, nope no MasterScam.

I can run both SW-HSMWork along with multiple windows of surfcam (Traditional) if need when HSMWorks cannot do what I want and never have it stall, make up all fixtures and assemblies to machine parts for students, bring in students assembles for the senior design projects (they are not SW pro's so get many issues that could stall some PC's) from simple to heavy surfacing.

As for MasterCam maybe that's the pig that chugs the PC to a crawl????

NOTE:ASU blows away all Dell pre-loaded software so who know might be what make them run so smooth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    Pitty where u at in cheddar?
    My Brother is a tool and die maker also, works a Strowig in Richfield.

Well I'll chime in, here @ ASU we have to get Dell's, used to run the big T5500's, now the small form factors T1700's.
    ASU has a 3 yr, replacement schedule, so here is what I do on these little wonders, SW and HSMWorks, surfcam, FeatureCam, NX, Powershape\Mill, nope no MasterScam.

I can run both SW-HSMWork along with multiple windows of surfcam (Traditional) if need when HSMWorks cannot do what I want and never have it stall, make up all fixtures and assemblies to machine parts for students, bring in students assembles for the senior design projects (they are not SW pro's so get many issues that could stall some PC's) from simple to heavy surfacing.

As for MasterCam maybe that's the pig that chugs the PC to a crawl????

NOTE:ASU blows away all Dell pre-loaded software so who know might be what make them run so smooth.
    We are in grafton we actually get work done from Strowig they are very good at what they do!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    1200w is overkill unless you're running 2 GTX Titan's in SLI mode. Get an 850 FULLY modular power supply from Corsair.
    Case? There are so many to choose from it's crazy. Thousands. You want an ATX case that has at least 3 or 4 fan slots.
    Take note of the sizes. Usually they are 120mm or 140mm fan slots. You can go balls out on a case and spend $300 for something that looks new age, or you can keep it simple and buy a plain black case for $80.
    Yea i know of all the cases lol. When i built my home pc i finally settled on a atx mid tower. 5 fans bought all cooler master excaliburs thos things really crank out CFMs! Then had 3 manual fan controllers and 2 mobo ones. Then a hyper 212 evo it was a little loud but it really displaced heat well. It actually heats up the room too much with all the over clocking and what not..

14. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Absolutely! I'll only charge 95% of what Boxx charges you.
    For this drive here, I'll sell it to you for the low low cost of $300, Boxx will charge you more.
    SAMSUNG 85 EVO 2.5" 5GB SSD SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Drive MZ-75E5B/AM - Newegg.com
    See there! I'm already saving you money!
    Yea i agree every one is just reselling other companies parts. Some just do it for a much more realistic price. I have no clue why people are justifying $3k markups as customer service!! I have had zero issues i could not solve. If something were to fail u can just buy a new part though that is rare.

16. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it looks more and more like i may be stuck with a dell. Our IT guy claims we cant even upgrade them we are not allowed... i still want to show them a quote and let them see what competitive pricing is! Also i am constantly told i have the best computer in the building and it is specd out to mastercams recommended settings. I tried saying well the i5 in your cheaper pc will probably fair better than this low end xeon. I said i want a i7 let one out our mechanical engineers have ours it may fair better with pro e and solidworks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are in grafton we actually get work done from Strowig they are very good at what they do!

I'm originally from Cedarburg, my brother started at a place in Grafton in 1971\72 don't remember the name, it was west of 57 on 60 right by the railroad tracks at the end of the shopping center north side. He has been at Strowig for 30 years.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Would a corsair 1200ATX Be enough power?"
    That's more than enough. I currently use a 1000w PSU on a test rig which has three graphics cards.

FYI on RAM, for very 3-D mold work we currently use 32GB and it seems to be plenty for Siemens NX but Mastercam can easily chew up 32GB when processing more than one stock model. 64GB has been determined to be the new minimum for our MC programmers. CNC software obviously hasn't done much optimization of their code in this area but oh well; RAM is relatively cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it looks more and more like i may be stuck with a dell. Our IT guy claims we cant even upgrade them we are not allowed... i still want to show them a quote and let them see what competitive pricing is! Also i am constantly told i have the best computer in the building and it is specd out to mastercams recommended settings. I tried saying well the i5 in your cheaper pc will probably fair better than this low end xeon. I said i want a i7 let one out our mechanical engineers have ours it may fair better with pro e and solidworks.

What I tell the IT guys is you may know the specs but I am the guy behind the wheel and she don't drive as fast as it should.

but they think they are gods

21. Likes Mtndew, Pitty920 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I tell the IT guys is you may know the specs but I am the guy behind the wheel and she don't drive as fast as it should.

but they think they are gods
    Lol that is good! I am gonna have to say that word for word!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm originally from Cedarburg, my brother started at a place in Grafton in 1971\72 don't remember the name, it was west of 57 on 60 right by the railroad tracks at the end of the shopping center north side. He has been at Strowig for 30 years.
    What is your brothers First name? Or nick name.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Think about what you spend the most time waiting for on your computer. If you're like me it's Mastercam's single-threaded operations like stock models and "legacy" surfacing toolpaths. Right now the king of the hill for single-threaded performance is the i7-8700K:
    PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Single Thread Performance

With six cores it's no slouch for multi-thread either.

Then I'd get 64GB of fast RAM, and some Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD's.

The video card is a hotly debated subject, but it's unanimous that Mastercam prefers Nvidia. For the most part you'll get more bang for the buck from a high end GeForce, but some swear by the Quadros and if you're planning on using Solidworks' simulation or rendering capabilities you'll need it.

Then get at least two, preferably three monitors. I put the Mastercam graphics window in the center one, my email and prints on the left, and the operations manager, planes manager, and levels manager on the right.
    Wait wtf!! The 8700k beats the 7700k quad core in single thread that is crazy! It must destroy it in multi thread. If that is the case that cpu is a match made for
    mastercam!! I will look
    Into that one unless anyone can see otherwise!!