What's new
What's new

any jobs available in the Tampa, FL area? CNC, tool & die, machinist

6061Mike

Hot Rolled
Anyone here looking for help in the Tampa, FL area? I finished my formal apprenticeship in 1999, did tool & die type work for about the first 10 years of my career and then moved into CNC. I have been programming with Mastercam since X (version 10, the first windows version). I can run/program/setup 2 axis lathes, 3,4,5 axis mills, most of my experience is with Haas equipment. The 5 axis is new to me, I am mostly doing 3+2 work with our UMC-750. I can also run most manual equipment. PM me if interested in talking.

thanks, Mike

So... are there really no jobs out there in this area, or do I not "fit" what people are looking for? I checked the local craigslist and nada, maybe this is just a different environment from where I cam from (up north).

So... are there really no jobs out there in this area, or do I not "fit" what people are looking for? I checked the local craigslist and nada, maybe this is just a different environment from where I cam from (up north).
i see a lot under cnc in manufacturing
tampa bay manufacturing "cnc" - craigslist
i believe pay is lower in general in florida. too many people want to go there and live and find any job maybe

when i lost a job at close to $28/hr i quickly found out there are few job postings at that pay level starting out for new employees in most companies.
i started a job on 2nd shift at $20/hr (western new york) and was lucky to get that. just saying you might start a job at lower pay and take 10 years to get back up to old pay level
i sent out 30 resumes and only got 3 replies and 2 job interviews and 1 job. just saying some places do not even reply to resumes if they think you will not be happy at a lower pay level that their job pays. some call it over qualified. i have even had job interviews immediately end asking for $19/hr

Tampa is a weird area, I lived there for 5 years while I went to school. There is work out there but not much tool and die that I saw. Indeed would be a better start than Craigslist but you might need to talk with a recruiter. Call Regal Components in Clearwater and see if they know anyone.

There are two big resources for finding work that machinist's seldom think about. 1- Tooling sales vendors/reps, and 2- Machine Tool sales dealers/reps. Since you're experienced with Haas machines, that's an easy place to start...

So I went to Haas' website and tried to find the dealer for the Tampa FL region. Turns out, there's an HFO in Tampa... You ever given thought to working for Haas, or one of their HFO's?
Employment - HFO Florida

Even if they don't have any openings, they'd probably be the best lead to help chase-down a shop who's looking. And even still, if you'd consider other machine tool companies/dealers, then you could search out some other machine tool dealers, and use them as well for either potential employers, or possible leads...

Best of Luck.

There are two big resources for finding work that machinist's seldom think about. 1- Tooling sales vendors/reps, and 2- Machine Tool sales dealers/reps. Since you're experienced with Haas machines, that's an easy place to start...

So I went to Haas' website and tried to find the dealer for the Tampa FL region. Turns out, there's an HFO in Tampa... You ever given thought to working for Haas, or one of their HFO's?
Employment - HFO Florida

Even if they don't have any openings, they'd probably be the best lead to help chase-down a shop who's looking. And even still, if you'd consider other machine tool companies/dealers, then you could search out some other machine tool dealers, and use them as well for either potential employers, or possible leads...

Best of Luck.

Thanks for the heads up.

So in a shameless bump to this thread... Where are the jobs at? LoL

It's amazing that I read on this site how there are no "skilled hands" but here I am, been looking for 1 year now (maybe only a few months 'kind of' serious...) and still no good leads.

This one is 1 hour north of me (probably no traffic), so that is out, unless I get desperate...
CNC Mill Operator Not saying it is a bad job, but man what a waste of time it is chasing around a job that says "compensation: Depends on Experience" and find out they want to pay $15/hr. Damn do I hate that!!

TBH, I did get one contact from here, but they said they could not offer my current pay. I did not get a response about what they could offer... I have a feeling "I got lucky" with a job that pays very well, but is, um, not 'satisfying' to say the least.... I would be open to a cut in pay, by a small margin, just to get back to do something I am interested in, not this boring ass production!

BTW, I am paid salary based on a certain number of hours per week, I think that may scare people off, its not like I make 32-35$/hour!!

edit: I have run Haas machines for a good chunk of my career, including a VF4 and st20 lathe with Mastercam, so I would be a 'perfect' fit for that job...

It's amazing that I read on this site how there are no "skilled hands" but here I am, been looking for 1 year now (maybe only a few months 'kind of' serious...) and still no good leads.

This one is 1 hour north of me (probably no traffic), so that is out, unless I get desperate...
CNC Mill Operator Not saying it is a bad job, but man what a waste of time it is chasing around a job that says "compensation: Depends on Experience" and find out they want to pay $15/hr. Damn do I hate that!!

TBH, I did get one contact from here, but they said they could not offer my current pay. I did not get a response about what they could offer... I have a feeling "I got lucky" with a job that pays very well, but is, um, not 'satisfying' to say the least.... I would be open to a cut in pay, by a small margin, just to get back to do something I am interested in, not this boring ass production!

BTW, I am paid salary based on a certain number of hours per week, I think that may scare people off, its not like I make 32-35$/hour!!

edit: I have run Haas machines for a good chunk of my career, including a VF4 and st20 lathe with Mastercam, so I would be a 'perfect' fit for that job...
like i have said before if your resume looks like you will want more pay than they are willing to offer, then often you will not get any replies on 90% of resumes sent out. i have often edited or shortened my resume to get more replies for a job.
some companies not willing to hire anybody not out of work over a month as they feel the person needs more time to be more humble (desperate)
some companies do not want very experience and well qualified people. they only want people who admit they do not know everything and willing to learn a new companies way of doing things AND if after 6 months you have anything that might improve things you will be polite about suggesting things not telling others at a company they do not know what they are doing
Florida i get the feeling wages are on the low side. too many people wanting to live there and will work for less money.
like i said it is normal to start a new job at much lower pay and have to work your way back up. plus if unemployed over a year many places figure there is something wrong and do not want to hire a long term unemployed person.
might be better to take some cnc classes at a college and see if they have job postings anywhere in the school from local employers. some of that is online at school web site now a days

average salary

average salary machinist tampa bay fl is $32,000 year about $16/hr
machinist Salary in Tampa Bay, FL | Indeed.com
when you work through a recruiter or employment agency often they can tell you ahead of time what a company is willing to pay. this avoids wasting time
take the average salary from indeed with some recognition that in Western New York State it is saying $27,000 yr for a machinist and i believe this does not count any extras.
as a CNC operator I will make over $62,000 this year at new job less than 4 years. add the 401K match and healthcare company gives thats over $65,000/year. just saying it adds up where one company giving "little extras" and pay ends up well over 200% of "average pay"
modern trend is to (and not usually reported in average income estimate)
1) get 2nd or 3rd shift extra pay per hour
2) overtime at 1.5x pay can add up considerably
3) if they give 6% 401K match that can add $2000 to $3000/yr
4) vacation time. some companies 1st complete year 2 weeks, 3 yrs 3 weeks, 7 years 4 weeks. other place you might get less or no paid vacation
5) and company although health care might cost employee some money weekly often company will contribute $500 to $1000 each year so often the health care cost employee nothing if not sick

Did you specifically call the HFO and ask if they, or anyone they knew of were hiring? Also - Don't tell them you're salary, OR how much you make... Not until the conversation has moved pretty far along, and you at least have an idea what's on the table...

----------------

At my current job, I asked for $XX/hour up front. Boss said no way. Not even in the budget if I wanted too... His advice - If you want the money, stay where you are. If you want the experience, come here... I did, about 60% of what I asked for. (It was close to what I was making at the time, but not quite...)Fast forward, I'm making far more now, than either of those numbers then... Needless to say, the experience came, and so did the money. - No gurantee, but experience can never really hurt you...

that was what i was trying to say. many companies officially start pay low and through pay raises as you prove yourself and learn company way plus through over time pay and other benefits the employer can change often, your actual pay after a few years and the official starting pay can be 200% or more different at the end of the year
many companies use overtime, yearly bonuses and other benefits as temporary reward for good work. that is they can pay good work with extra pay and bonuses but want to turn it on or off often to reward good behavior and not reward bad behavior or even average work

I sent you a PM a while back but I am too far away. I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to make that drive either. Have you knocked on any doors or are you relying on CL and the papers? If I lived closer to Tampa I would call American Tool and Mold, Cavaform or Octek(not sure of the spelling on that one). Also, about 2 months ago Bic had an ad on Linkedin.Good luck, keep us posted.

as a CNC operator I will make over $62,000 this year at new job less than 4 years. add the 401K match and healthcare company gives thats over $65,000/year. just saying it adds up where one company giving "little extras" and pay ends up well over 200% of "average pay"

I just have ask Tom.
That seems decent, not sure of the hours needed to get a W-2 in this number so on 90 hours per week maybe not good thing.
Yet you have posted how hard it was to take a big cut just to get a job in the past.
Soooo,
Is this good/bad from your point of view.? Short end of the stick, fair but taking advantage of the worker, great arrangement where you love your employer, friggen expect those upstairs to come off some money soon?
I know you take some flack here but I sort of understand what you know and can do.
Deep inside, your gut feel, Is what you get a fair and decent wage and benefits? Not oh-my-gawd great, just reasonable for your level.
I ask as I'm always wanting feedback from outside my little world.

I just have ask Tom.
That seems decent, not sure of the hours needed to get a W-2 in this number so on 90 hours per week maybe not good thing.
Yet you have posted how hard it was to take a big cut just to get a job in the past.
Soooo,
Is this good/bad from your point of view.? Short end of the stick, fair but taking advantage of the worker, great arrangement where you love your employer, friggen expect those upstairs to come off some money soon?
I know you take some flack here but I sort of understand what you know and can do.
Deep inside, your gut feel, Is what you get a fair and decent wage and benefits? Not oh-my-gawd great, just reasonable for your level.
I ask as I'm always wanting feedback from outside my little world.
i work overtime but rarely over 60 total hours per week. by the way excel file math says i am averaging 22.5% overtime hours. fair i do not believe there is such a thing. it is what companies pay and often companies only pay more when too many employees leave for jobs at other companies.
when unemployed things always look bad. always worry about never finding another good job. i started a new job at $19/hr and with 2nd shift extra $1 thats was $20/hr a little over 3 years ago. that was a lot less per hour than my old job
...... and in a little over 3 years i will make more than i did at my old job that payed more per hour but had zero overtime. but at end of year you can make more at a company paying 150% overtime pay. it adds up all the extra benefits and my point is the extra benefits are usually not counted in a average salary pay rate survey.
even if looking for a job and they appear to pay less. i would politely look at or ask about overtime amounts, 401K match, paid vacation, and other benefits. plus job security. my old job paid at least $3/hr more than average as the company was known to be heading to a major layoff soon like next year or two. they had zero overtime for many years. so they paid a premium to keep people from leaving so they stayed longer on the expectation a major layoff was coming.

OK, quick update, have an interview tomorrow. Bad news, the website (which lists the 'career' opportunities, says pay range is 18-22 hr) so... What do ya'll think?? Do I just go in on best behavior and be super interested in job, or do I clear this obstacle right away? Not that I think I will have any responses in time to affect my decision LoL.

I know I probably sound like a money whore about now since it is alot of what I talk about, but hey, I got bills to pay! I mean, we are all working for a paycheck, right??! I would honestly love to work and do something I love (prototyping, one-offs, etc) and make less, but I can't exactly sell that to the debt collectors... Anywho, just wanted to update my thread.

ps Jashley - I know the HFO guys (sort of) not sure it would be wise to advertise I am looking...

OK, quick update, have an interview tomorrow. Bad news, the website (which lists the 'career' opportunities, says pay range is 18-22 hr) so... What do ya'll think?? Do I just go in on best behavior and be super interested in job, or do I clear this obstacle right away? Not that I think I will have any responses in time to affect my decision LoL.

I know I probably sound like a money whore about now since it is alot of what I talk about, but hey, I got bills to pay! I mean, we are all working for a paycheck, right??! I would honestly love to work and do something I love (prototyping, one-offs, etc) and make less, but I can't exactly sell that to the debt collectors... Anywho, just wanted to update my thread.

ps Jashley - I know the HFO guys (sort of) not sure it would be wise to advertise I am looking...
good luck at job interview. be aware if 2 people at interview one might be the boss but the other might be the job decision maker. i try extra hard to be polite and watch what you say as many take offense easily.
starting pay is just that. it usually gets better and higher given time. i would act like you want the job and will be grateful to get it.

Mike - Don't feel bad about seeking out the best wage. Yeah, there's other things to consider, but we don't primarily "go to work" for those things. We go to work to make money - so we might as well make as much as we can.

RE - Your interview tomorrow, I'd go and be honest/sincere. If you're interested, then you have nothing to lose, but everything to gain by checking it out. Be honest with them about the pay - maybe they've become jaded and just aren't prepared for a guy of your skills to come and blow them away... Don't be a diva, but be honest with them. If they will move close enough your direction so that the pay cut isn't so much, and you actually like the work enough, then it could work out well...

On a side note, if they ask why they should pay your more... Tell them you're there (job/work) to make money for you, but you hope to make them money too... Let them know that you understand how businesses work - it might be enough to show them you have a "different" mindset that will payoff for them...

RE - The HFO guys - do you know the HFO crowd in Tampa? You're in SC, correct, or am I missing something? Anyway, if you're genuinely interested but don't want it getting back to your current employer, then it can't hurt to reach out to them, but mention up front that you'd like them to be discreet and not spread around that you're looking...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick story - A colleague from several jobs ago set out on his own, and my name got passed through the grapevine back to him. He reached out to me, wanting a lead-guy to run the machine shop. It was a 2-year-old company getting past the startup phase. He offered $23, which honestly wasn't a bad offer. It was less than I was making, but it would have been an interesting job no doubt. But I went. I met. I saw. I talked. I listened. And even though we couldn't work something out, I made the contact, and could always come back in the future and talk again... It's never a bad idea to have some other job leads in your pocket...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, best of luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

Back