What's new
What's new

Looking for feedback on my mfg resume

everything

Plastic
Hey, I'd really appreciate some input from more experienced people on how to shorten, format, and improve my resume. The jig is that I've only had one real job for a year and 3 months now, but I've accomplished a lot there and want to show off. I started out as a temp at the bottom of a small locknut manufacturer, got hired and now I'm in management. So I'm not sure if a chronological format is the best choice since I have one thing to show off. Or two, because I worked 4 months for a staffing agency assigned to my company, then a year as a real employee at the same company.

I still work for that company currently, and at this job I wear many hats but mainly I run the Inventory system and I run the tapping dept. (setup, fix, manage). When the plant manager is out I am the de facto leader. So I am looking to apply for both Inventory positions and mfg setup/managing positions and when I send out this resume I'll prioritize the bullet points that match each respective position.

Basically I put everything I can think of on there and I'm trying to cut it down to one page, but I lack the experience to know if certain bullet points are unnecessary. I will probably remove my very first job as an undergrad apprentice for my school unless the position is related in any way. I don't know if the Tech. Skills section is necessary. And I don't know if I should merge my time at the staffing agency with that of the shop. I live in the midwest but I'm looking to work in either north dakota or texas boomtowns for $18 or more an hour. In manufacturing, not oilfields; boomtowns need production too. I would work anywhere else for that pay but I don't expect it outside of a boomtown.

Here is my resume: Anon Resume

If you haven't taken a short resume writing course, do so, they're usually free at the local unemployment office. Putting everything you can think off is counterproductive.

For an oil country resume you could write a resume on the back of a strippers promo poster in crayon and get a job, PROVIDED YOU DELIVER IT IN PERSON!!! Oil country gets resumes from deadbeats all over the continent looking for a guaranteed job, an easy move and they will lie through their teeth to get it. The man standing in the lobby looking for a job is worth 50 who promise to show up in 2 weeks.

I once worked in a shop during an oil boom where a machinist hired over the phone left out the fact he was missing an arm.

You can also find some very good resume online also. Take references. It's not a bad idea to take help of some professional resume writing services. They will charge you a bit, but you will really get an attractive resume.

I vote for leaving it alone other than a short summary of what you are looking for in your next opportunity.

EDIT:
I didn't realize how little traffic there is in this subforum, I was just scrolling down the first page and assumed the posts were recent. I didn't mean to drag up an old dead thread. I am going to leave this post in case it helps anyone else in the future.

I'm used to engineering and lab tech resumes so this may differ but at first glance:

1) If you went temp to hire for the same position just list it as being hired. Make a verbal in the interview about it, but treat it as one item on the resume.
2) Left (or full) justify the main paragraphs, don't center them. This jumped at me with the Summary.
3) Hopefully the drifting columns in the Core Competencies section are a result of Anon Resume, if not fix those too.
4) "Finished the job faster as well" comes across as a bit snarky. Good point, but find another way to say it.
5) Capitalization is inconsistent within the Technical Skills section. I'm not particularly concerned with more subtle grammar rules, but I have an aunt in HR who would routinely remove resumes due to these. If someone is going through a big stack they are looking for any reason to thin the stack. Don't give them a silly reason to not stick around and consider your job related skills.
6) I would used "beat record" or "exceeded record" rather than "broke record". I try to avoid the use of words with negative connotations in resumes.
7) It doesn't belong on the resume, but if hiring you I would want to know why you were interested in changing employers. Have a good short explanation that doesn't come across as too negative.

Back