What's new
What's new

starting apprenticeship have questions???

sam_stlouis

Cast Iron
Not sure if this is the best section but seemed to be the one to post is.

OK, so first I dont have it for sure. But I work at general motors, and our facility has opened up a small group on apprenticship positions. They are offering die makers, and tool makers. Our faciality only has a few die makers positions, so it will increase my chances to pick tool maker. There are 580 applying for the positions, 10 spots. They are going to do some testing to get it down to 100 applicants, then interviews after that. I expect to do well on the testing, after that who knows. I have some machining experience, home machinist type stuff, but no real machinist training.

Anyway any feedback on what I can expect to get out of this, if things change down the road will this give me the type of experience other employers would want to see, any advice would be greatfull. It is a 4 year program, we will recieve a tool maker journeyman certificate from the US department of labor. 7328 hours on the job training, and 576 hours of schooling, classes are from a community college and ranken tech. We will rotate working with different journeyman and different shifts to get different kinds of work and different points of view.

I am hoping to become as much of a toolmaker and machinist as I can out of this, just not sure how far it will go in terms of training. I will push to get as much as I can, or even take extra classes if I need to. Just hope this will be a good deal. Next step is in a week, hope to be one step further.

Anyway any feedback on the program or similar programs is appreciated.
thanks
sam

study

Not sure if this is the best section but seemed to be the one to post is.

OK, so first I dont have it for sure. But I work at general motors, and our facility has opened up a small group on apprenticship positions. They are offering die makers, and tool makers. Our faciality only has a few die makers positions, so it will increase my chances to pick tool maker. There are 580 applying for the positions, 10 spots. They are going to do some testing to get it down to 100 applicants, then interviews after that. I expect to do well on the testing, after that who knows. I have some machining experience, home machinist type stuff, but no real machinist training.

Anyway any feedback on what I can expect to get out of this, if things change down the road will this give me the type of experience other employers would want to see, any advice would be greatfull. It is a 4 year program, we will recieve a tool maker journeyman certificate from the US department of labor. 7328 hours on the job training, and 576 hours of schooling, classes are from a community college and ranken tech. We will rotate working with different journeyman and different shifts to get different kinds of work and different points of view.

I am hoping to become as much of a toolmaker and machinist as I can out of this, just not sure how far it will go in terms of training. I will push to get as much as I can, or even take extra classes if I need to. Just hope this will be a good deal. Next step is in a week, hope to be one step further.

Anyway any feedback on the program or similar programs is appreciated.
thanks
sam
it usually is good to practice doing math. it has been my experience usually the people
picked know somebody like a boss. it might not be fair but many jobs are like that, it is
who you know on the inside that often determines getting a job
often without knowing the people deciding it is difficult to determine what they value most.
i applied for a cnc programming job once using mastercam software and in interview they
ask me to hand write a program using pencil and paper. silly me i was practicing programming
with mastercam software and was caught making dumb mistakes as i have not had to hand
write programs in over 10 years.......... just saying you never know what they ask

Thanks guys, it all helps. I actually ordered the book mentioned above, you can get it pretty cheap new direct from them, not sure why the used ones are 50. have not got it yet, but figured it would not help. Not really to worried about the actuall testing, math, blueprint reading, etc. are all pretty easy for me. But who knows about the interview and how many other people being tested will do well, etc. Chances are pretty small no matter how you look at it, but hope for the best. thanks again

About the interview
Dress in nice clean clothes with pants at right level.
Be clean and polite and well rested.
Smile a few times.
Be the person who wants to learn.
Find a few things about the company.
Tell a little about your community service if you can fit it in.
Do not use slang or bad words.
Sit up straight and don’t fidget or hold your hands.

Back