What's new
What's new

Suggestions re: re-entering the machinist trade.

cmknight

Plastic
Twelve years ago, I injured my rotator cuffs (repetitive motion injuries, so a took a "short" hiatus (teaching English to ESL students in another country) to allow them to heal. Well, one year lead to another, etc., but now I'm back in Vancouver, BC, and wanting to re-enter the machining workforce.

When I left the workforce, I was a 4th-year apprentice. I have completed all of my technical training, as well as written (and passed) my journeyman ticket exam (IPSE). I am currently taking milling machine and lathe operating courses to get my hands and brain back into the routine.

For those who may not know, here in Canada, machinist is a 4-year apprenticeship with a combination of technical in-school training, and here in British Columbia, 6600 hours of practical experience. These hours are very important, as they tell your employment history. My problem is that my employers (2) never recorded my employment hours with the Apprenticeship Board, so I have four years of schooling, with no hours to show for it. I also have no way, really, to get the employers to back-up employment claims. One employer has since passed away, and the shop is no longer in existence, and the other employer destroys employment records after seven years.

I am firing off resumes every single day, whenever an employment opportunity presents itself, but I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I may be able to set myself apart from other candidates, and get back into machining?

Back