What's new
What's new

First Shift Supervisor / programmer / engineer Bryan TX

vettedude

Stainless
Pay 22-30+ /HR

I can not edit the title but I am doping the engineer requirement

Contact me [email protected] DO NOT CONTACT ME IF YOU ARE A RECRUITER!

CNC Lathe First Shift - Lead / Setup / Programmer

Job summary:

Odin Heavy Industries is looking for an experienced CNC Programer / Lead Machinist who can program and setup a variety of CNC machines, manufacturing equipment, and help to enhance the productivity of our organization. The successful candidate will perform work quality checks and monitor machine output . The candidate will also be expected to lead a group of CNC operators. Including the ability to maintain schedules and ensure work is finished in a timely manner with minimal scrap. If you are a skilled CNC Programmer or lead machinist with 2+ years’ experience working for a manufacturing business, we encourage you to submit an application for this position.

Responsibilities

Translate the requirements of detailed part drawings into measurements for production
Perform proper set-up and calibration procedures for all equipment and accessories to be used on projects
Ensure that every machine procedure is done in accordance with the strict guidelines of the company
Follow all company safety protocol
Inspect the work area and machines that were used during the day prior to leaving at the end of each shift
Attend and actively participate in training classes and safety sessions
(CNC operation - Turning) Typical tasks will include but are not limited to. Operating and using a 4 jaw chuck, basic measuring equipment, knowing how to operate basic functions of CNC equipment such as the start button, feed overrides, and other basic commands.
(G&M Code) The candidate must be able to program by hand and using commercially available cam software.
(Lead) You will be expected to ensure operators finish work in a timely fashion under strict quality controls.

Skills Required
High school diploma/GED required
2+ years’ experience using production machinery
Extensive knowledge of machine maintenance and operation required
Must possess strong basic math skills
Proven history of working with metrology equipment
You must be prepared to solve problems with the help of shop leadership. Good communications skills are necessary.
You must know how to use basic hand tools such as a socket wrench.
You must be hard working with a desire to learn and pride in the parts and components they create. The candidate must show good attention to detail as well as a strong ability to follow instructions written and verbal
(G&M Code) You must have a strong grasp of G&M code programming how to edit and create programs.
working in a production lathe department
Experience with HAAS and OKUMA machine tools
Notes:

Do not apply if you are under 18 years of age.

Key words:

CNC Machinist, Compression molding, composites, manufacturing, technician, helper

Job Type: Full-time

Job Location:

Bryan, TX
Required education:

High school or equivalent
Required experience:

CNC Programming: 2 year

Last edited:
Yes, the title is a bit of a mouthful
actually... it is the contradictions that are a bit of a 'headfull'.

Make a table. Put the wished-fors and must-haves in columns.

Then compare.

Which time were you unclear?

And why would you publish so much information, even if it were clear what you 'really' want, as to convince possibly great candidates to not even bother applying? Some of that info one shares only with those who at least apply, or even have passed initial screening.

Bit of a stretch between HS GED and degreed Engineer, CNC expertise and willing to learn it, no? And yet.. candidate with the 'right stuff', one may take the gamble.

Candidates assess Companies, just as Companies assess candidates.

Don't make it look as if your Company is unsure whether they road a horse sidesaddle to work or ate a bag lunch from Subway instead.

One has to wonder....what happened to the "last guy" ?.... worked to death ?

Or is this a new "Dream position" dreamed up by the O.P. as the solution
to all the companies ills. (IE...looking for an employee with a big "S"
under his shirt ?)

Giving too many task's, the employee can't do any one best.

One has to wonder....what happened to the "last guy" ?.... worked to death ?

Or is this a new "Dream position" dreamed up by the O.P. as the solution
to all the companies ills. (IE...looking for an employee with a big "S"
under his shirt ?)

Giving too many task's, the employee can't do any one best.

???

How is that too many tasks...

I don't see the problem, but you obviously do. The below is an attempt at simplification.

90% of the candidates duties are as follows:

The candidate is expected to take pre-made programs, setup machines and give them to operators to run while monitoring their work. If needed they will run production themselves.

They are also required to inspect work and help others with problems and grow as an employee.

If what I just described sounds like too many tasks then you are not the right person for the job.

All of the other qualifications are needed to accomplish the above.

Lifting 85 lbs. chest-high for hours probably will not appeal to most degreed engineers/programmers. Seems a waste of skills....

That's only in there to discourage women.

Not that they CANNOT. They just aren't into dick-swinging or dumb-dumb so as to want work where the company is too ancient or cheap to buy powered die tables, robots, or other semi-modern MHE.

Lifting 85 lbs. chest-high for hours probably will not appeal to most degreed engineers/programmers. Seems a waste of skills....

All of our shop personnel must meet this qualification, regardless of their described duties or daily expected duties. We are not a "Union" shop, you will be expected to help with what we need you to do.

If you feel this is a problem, then do not apply.

Bit of a stretch between HS GED and degreed Engineer, CNC expertise and willing to learn it, no? And yet.. candidate with the 'right stuff', one may take the gamble.

That was confusing, and was removed, I believe that party is clear now.

Thanks for the feedback.

That's only in there to discourage women.

Not that they CANNOT. They just aren't into dick-swinging or dumb-dumb so as to want work where the company is too ancient or cheap to buy powered die tables, robots, or other semi-modern MHE.

If you wish to make constructive feedback, i am very interested in reading that, but please keep your comments semi professional.

???

How is that too many tasks...

I don't see the problem, but you obviously do. The below is an attempt at simplification.

90% of the candidates duties are as follows:

The candidate is expected to take pre-made programs, setup machines and give them to operators to run while monitoring their work. If needed they will run production themselves.

They are also required to inspect work and help others with problems and grow as an employee.

If what I just described sounds like too many tasks then you are not the right person for the job.

All of the other qualifications are needed to accomplish the above.

We can only judge what the job actually entails by what YOU WRITE.
Please re-read your own opening title.

You say "Programmer Engineer".

And then you say $18 hour

And then you say "Must lift 85 lbs".

Again, we can only know by what you write, don't shoot the messenger trying to find out exactly
what the job entails.

It might just be, we have a person in mind to tell about your job (a qualified "applicant"), but not anymore.

If you wish to make constructive feedback, i am very interested in reading that, but please keep your comments semi professional.

Very well. You - or your firm - are erecting needless barriers to your own success.

You have every right to do so, but it is not in your long-term best-interest.

If that destructive habit cannot be corrected under-roof, third-party professional input should be sought to correct it, and last year would not be too soon.

If you think the broadly-based and experienced PM community is lacking in experience with both sides of that coin?

Think again.

This would not be a problem position for many of us to fill. Nor even on our personal plate.

It would be handled ably and well by the the new folks we would have installed ABOVE that position, and for as high up as we had to go to get that job done, 'ably and well'.

"The neck of a bottle is generally at the top."

And that holds for bottles both large and small.

Are you part of the solution? Or part of the problem?

What is it that is most in need of change? 'Attitude' is certainly on the list.

Ok, you want semi professional critique. I'm your huckleberry!

I think that you're asking too much from one person. It has been my experience with multi function tools that they don't do any one task as well as a single tool - no different than people.

Which one do you want most of the three?

First Shift Supervisor / programmer / engineer

If your need is to produce parts from a drawing and you have qualified operators then a Shift Supervisor who knows CNC programming and machining is a realistic expectation. Give them reasonable production goals and the tools and material they need.
Pay them really well!

Your QC and production recording should be a separate person who will do the work quality checks and monitor machine output each hour and generate comprehensive reports to the supervisor and management. This person does not need to know machining. They do need basic measurement tool use and blueprint reading. They need to be a detail orientated person, you know, that person who finds Waldo as soon as the page is turned and very adept at numbers.
Pay them well!

An engineer for your industry is just that. A legitimate educated engineer - don't title the position unless they are designing parts and components requiring force calculations, material selection etc. - in other words.. responsibility for the company's Legal Liability! Mold design and tooling should be within their work scope pay them really well but don't expect them to produce parts, that's for a semi skilled operator such as one of your machine tool operators.

You seem to be doing what far too many companies are doing - overworking and underpaying their employees. Then they wonder why they can't get or retain good people. What I call Shopping at Macy's with a 7-11 mindset.

Your "Do not apply if you cannot arrange transportation to and from work daily and weekends." says volumes. A qualified candidate would presume that.

With "no recruiters" position and the other details it seems your bottom fishing with a dull unbaited hook.
Too cheap to spend on a real search, makes me wonder about what the shop looks like, dirty, poor lighting, outdated machinery? The weekend transportation tells me you're making up poor production by extra work hours.

IMO - you need to seriously consider if you just want to survive or thrive? Hiring good creative people and giving them the support is going to cost you money - the return profits and thriving not just surviving.

This is a critique of your ideas - not you personally, please take it as trying to help.

OSHA recommends limiting single-person lifting to 50Lbs: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/electricalcontractors/materials/heavy.html

I know it's fashionable to deride every government recommendation or rule as overreach and Communist, but the reason is to limit injury risk and leave. I'm not sure where the OP's work requirements come from, and why strong backs are preferred over safe handling, but you're courting injury claims and perhaps more.

I think that you're asking too much from one person. It has been my experience with multi function tools that they don't do any one task as well as a single tool - no different than people.

Which one do you want most of the three?

First Shift Supervisor / programmer / engineer

If your need is to produce parts from a drawing and you have qualified operators then a Shift Supervisor who knows CNC programming and machining is a realistic expectation. Give them reasonable production goals and the tools and material they need.
Pay them really well!

Your QC and production recording should be a separate person who will do the work quality checks and monitor machine output each hour and generate comprehensive reports to the supervisor and management. This person does not need to know machining. They do need basic measurement tool use and blueprint reading. They need to be a detail orientated person, you know, that person who finds Waldo as soon as the page is turned and very adept at numbers.
Pay them well!

An engineer for your industry is just that. A legitimate educated engineer - don't title the position unless they are designing parts and components requiring force calculations, material selection etc. - in other words.. responsibility for the company's Legal Liability! Mold design and tooling should be within their work scope pay them really well but don't expect them to produce parts, that's for a semi skilled operator such as one of your machine tool operators.

You seem to be doing what far too many companies are doing - overworking and underpaying their employees. Then they wonder why they can't get or retain good people. What I call Shopping at Macy's with a 7-11 mindset.

Your "Do not apply if you cannot arrange transportation to and from work daily and weekends." says volumes. A qualified candidate would presume that.

I can do all of the above skills and I agree whole-heartedly with your post. Including the 85lbs requirement, without complaint, fwiw. I would walk right by that ad and not even send a feeler out to interview the company. That post screams "We want someone we can blame for everything that goes wrong" in my opinion. Set up for failure. Must be responsible for other peoples' production and advancement... must establish and assure acceptable quality levels... must create and improve CNC programming, likely expected to improve setups, reducing setup time, and reduce cycle times and touch-time... must ensure production goals are met at the same time. It took me a lot of different roles in my job history to achieve all of those necessary skills.

Starting with "ideally a degreed engineer" but then, the low end of minimum qualifications (2 years experience and a GED is the min?) and the rather high end of tasks tells me the employer is presenting a very large disparity between expected performance and expected compensation. To even consider 2 years experience as being 'enough' tells me the responsibilities are underestimated. It'll likely result in a lot of overtime, maybe even unpaid, if the boss maintains the mindset of not understanding why the list of responsibilities takes more than 'xx' hours a week.

---

I generally hate 'chit chat' in job postings but the comment about criticism was welcomed, if semi-professional, so there's my take. I apologize if it's abrasive. Other than the management aspect, it sounds like a great job. I think if you took away the responsibility to manage your production team, it might be more achievable. Having someone doing programming, setups, and working WITH someone on quality aspects is something a talented individual could handle, imo.

One last edit:

You'd be wasting your money on a degreed mechanical engineer. They will deservedly want compensation for their investment in the education and their education will not really bring you any value, judging by the info on your website. MOST of the skills you need are not found in a mechanical engineer's degree program, and are most frequently obtained by people who are not degree-holding. Mold and tooling design can be a specialty in some programs, but rarely, and you'll see far more non-degreed mold designers, I'm guessing. I wouldn't put much value on a person with a degree, applying for that position. Experience is the only way to get the required knowledge in this type of position.

"You'd be wasting your money on a degreed mechanical engineer." Agreed if hes not really engineering. That was what I was trying to say.

You clarified my point; Engineer is not the correct title for a mold designer/maker. Call it whatever you want but engineer is not the correct term.

I think in short the ad is poorly written - I would seek the advice of a professional if it were my company.

I can do all of the above skills and I agree whole-heartedly with your post. Including the 85lbs requirement, without complaint, fwiw. I would walk right by that ad and not even send a feeler out to interview the company. That post screams "We want someone we can blame for everything that goes wrong" in my opinion. Set up for failure. Must be responsible for other peoples' production and advancement... must establish and assure acceptable quality levels... must create and improve CNC programming, likely expected to improve setups, reducing setup time, and reduce cycle times and touch-time... must ensure production goals are met at the same time. It took me a lot of different roles in my job history to achieve all of those necessary skills.
I don't see whats wrong with doing all of these things? I am not looking for anyone to blame, but I am looking for someone to take responsibility, and if there is an operator doing a bad job either work with management to train them up, or make a mutually agreed upon decision to replace or move them to a different role. If someone fucks up its not the supervisors responsibility, but it is their responsibility to catch the fuck up before it goes to the customer.

Why can a person not perform setups, monitor quality, and help make small improvements over time to make life easier?

Starting with "ideally a degreed engineer" but then, the low end of minimum qualifications (2 years experience and a GED is the min?) and the rather high end of tasks tells me the employer is presenting a very large disparity between expected performance and expected compensation. To even consider 2 years experience as being 'enough' tells me the responsibilities are underestimated. It'll likely result in a lot of overtime, maybe even unpaid, if the boss maintains the mindset of not understanding why the list of responsibilities takes more than 'xx' hours a week.

---

I have other employees fulfilling this role on other shifts who are at ~2 years of experience, I think most of the people here are reading too far into what i am wanting due to being extremely jaded. I need to change the title, and i will do that.

I generally hate 'chit chat' in job postings but the comment about criticism was welcomed, if semi-professional, so there's my take. I apologize if it's abrasive. Other than the management aspect, it sounds like a great job. I think if you took away the responsibility to manage your production team, it might be more achievable. Having someone doing programming, setups, and working WITH someone on quality aspects is something a talented individual could handle, imo.
I don't know what to put, manage / lead / supervise can often cut along very similar paths. I am not sure what everyone has in mind for management. I need someone to lead and make sure the boat is heading in the direction of getting production done and at the end of the day let me know when things are wrong.

You sound a lot more reasonable than your ad lets on, imo. Maybe it's worth thinking about, maybe not. I think having the upper end of expected pay will go miles in getting applicants, so that if they see you're willing to go up to $30/hr, you won't be scaring off the more experienced/skilled people.

I think I'm also reading it through glasses of experience in job shops and short-run production with frequent changeover. That would drastically change the workload.

It might just be, we have a person in mind to tell about your job (a qualified "applicant"), but not anymore.

Did you have a person in mind?
18-30+ is not the same as 18
I can take the 85lbs off the qualifications, that is not an expectation of the person on a daily basis, but it will be asked during an interview as the person needs to have a basic level of physical ability.

Does my shortened explanation sound too difficult?

Back