What's new
What's new

Just starting out in austin

Flare09

Plastic
Hey everyone, I want to be a cnc machinist. I own a shapeoko 1 and a 7x10 mini lathe, and a few gauges. I have gathered I need an apprenticeship first before I can start an entry level position. But I'm not sure what else to do from there. Pointers what to read, study, learn. Or if anyone is willing to hire me.

My local community college doesnt offer anything for operator. But looking more into it, I have found I need to study and test for NIMS certifacation. (Info in case anyone else is wondering)

QT:[My local community college doesn't offer anything for operator.]

Operator is not what education you are looking for..CNC maching, programming, manual machining all better..What ever machine tool course they have is better than operator...
Get a job at a machine shop and be the operator or the guy pushing a broom in a machine shop and within a month likely you will be out the door or asked to run a machine.
Get your life style interesting so to do well/better on an interview, get your own study books and learn programming, be the best guy at a course and at first job so getting a very good letter or good grade, apply at the top shops so getting in, so you might work your way up. have hobbies and life styles that might help you get first and better job.

*No disrespect here... some operators are highly intelligent, skilled and valuable ... and should be called a CNC or manual machinist but the owner gets away with low pay calling the job operator

QT: [I have found I need to study and test for NIMS certifacation] I read the test and that is very simple and basic..it is something but a college course and job time would be better INMO/... or along with...

Back