What's new
What's new

Machinist Position in Central Illinois

KatBliev

Plastic
Hydro-Gear is the world leader in innovating drive and control systems for the lawn and garden industry. We are looking for team members who share our core values and seek to make a positive impact. We’re growing and have an opening for a Machinist/Toolmaker at our Sullivan IL facility. This permanent position is full-time with a benefits package including family insurance coverage, 401k, vacation and more. Apply at www.hydro-gear.com/careers.

MAJOR DUTIES:
· Meets safety and quality requirements for machine shop practices
· Design and machine special fixtures needed to perform task (prototype parts work holding)
· Proficient in operating machine shop type equipment such as manual lathes, mills, surface grinders
· Be able to operate precision measuring instruments
· Must support all engineering, production, and customer needs
· Make finished parts from blue prints

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Technical School; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
· Must be able to read and interpret engineering drawings

CULTURAL ATTRIBUTES:
· Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment
· Effective multi-tasking skills
· Demonstrated innovativeness and creative ability
· Willingness to take ownership and participate in “hands-on” projects
· Respect for others
· Sets a good example
· Motivated

Apply at www.hydro-gear.com/careers

PC help wanted adds have gotten so out of hand. That whole mess above could be reduced to:

Manual machinist needed. Don't be a dick.

PC help wanted adds have gotten so out of hand. That whole mess above could be reduced to:

Manual machinist needed. Don't be a dick.

You forgot the part where your undershirt has to have a giant "S" on it....they want superman.

Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment?
Effective multi-tasking skills?
Willingness to take ownership and participate in “hands-on” projects?

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Sounds like an interesting applications context where I could leverage my interaction or something. Maybe they hope the HR jargon will weed out applicants with meth teeth.

But I don't know about using the term "Cultural Attributes" in a help-wanted ad. Reference to "culture" in any context might be construed as a prohibited code word, like the phrase "quality of life" used to describe an area seeking plant relocations. You can tell I escaped the East Coast, can't you?

FWIW, I've toured the Hydro-gear machine shop in Sullivan, IL. It's a nice, clean, organized facility. They really have their act together. I forget how many Makino HMCs they have, but it's well into the double digits.

Aside from the HR jargon, this is probably a pretty good job for the right guy.

had job interview where they ask have you ever failed at something and what did you do ?
i said used to work on old production line machine and it was out dated and the cost to modernize was higher than company wanted to invest(i was maintenance machinist responsible for keeping it running). i said they shutdown machine and lay everybody off and i found another job. not sure but they probably didnt want to hear that answer

had job interview where they ask have you ever failed at something and what did you do ?
i said used to work on old production line machine and it was out dated and the cost to modernize was higher than company wanted to invest(i was maintenance machinist responsible for keeping it running). i said they shutdown machine and lay everybody off and i found another job. not sure but they probably didnt want to hear that answer

...and tossed a lit match over your shoulder on the way out the door ?....:D

just saying at job interview they often ask questions like
how will you improve things at your new job position ? i said since others have 20 or more years experience and are very good at their jobs i do not believe i can make any big improvements cause i know the people already working in the department are very good at what they do.
just saying many times they ask questions that can be answered many different ways and the "correct" answer that they are looking for can be different than expected. sure i could have said no problem i will easily do things to improve things better than its ever been done. like i said often trick is knowing what answer they want to hear. if i answered no problem i will make many improvements easily it could easily have been a question to see if i was a person who exaggerates or tells not the full truth. or maybe they really want to hear i can easily make improvements that most likely cannot be done

Back