What's new

Precision Machining Technology Instructor Position Open

charlie gary

Stainless
SALARY: $50,577.00 - $60,693.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 06/01/17
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
POSITION:
Renton Technical College (RTC), located southeast of Seattle, provides career training, retraining,
academic education, basic studies preparation and continuing education courses for those seeking
marketable job skills or personal enrichment. RTC was recently identified as one of the Top 10
Community Colleges in the Country, by the Aspen Institute's College Excellence Program.
Designated as a Leader College by Achieving the Dream Inc., RTC is also proud to be a Military
Friendly School, with a goal of serving those who chose to serve.
The Precision Machining Technology Instructor is responsible for teaching all aspects of theory and
practice for instruction on lathe & milling manual machines and CNC set-up and operation.
Curriculum for this two-year certificate program also includes using Mastercam and SolidWorks.
Other professional responsibilities include: maintaining office hours at time convenient to
students, serving as an ad hoc member of the program's advisory committee, serving on
departmental and college committees, participating in professional improvement activities, and
other related duties as may be assigned by the Executive Dean.
This full-time, tenure track position is scheduled for thirty hours of student contact and ten hours
of professional activity per week.
Applications received by 06/23/17 will receive priority consideration.
Renton Technical College is committed to increasing its cultural diversity with an emphasis on
equity and inclusion among professional staff. We strongly encourage members of protected
groups to apply for this position to meet the needs of our diverse students and service district.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide leadership in working to improve access and successful educational outcomes for
underrepresented student populations.
Demonstrating multicultural competence (including an awareness and understanding of
historically disadvantaged populations) and creating an educational environment that affirms
a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Conduct learning activities in a facility supported by a computer lab with latest versions of
Mastercam and SolidWorks, machine shop with nine new manual mills and lathes and 19
older models, and CNC room with a new 5 axis CNC machine, a sub spindle lathe and FARO
Arm as well as six older CNC machines.
Teach math, basic algebra and applied geometry and trigonometry as well as workplace
communications, human relations, and job search skills.
Collaborate with current Precision Machining Technologies Instructor to identify program
outcomes that match the National Institute for Metalworking Standards (NIMS) certifications
and online academic instruction such as Tooling U.
Provide for the orderly conduct of program learning activities, individual student learning
needs and the appropriate evaluation of student progress towards attaining the learning
objectives.
Design inclusive instructional strategies, including classroom, small groups and
individualized instruction, to reach all students, and select and evaluate the materials
needed to implement these strategies.
Perform recruiting and job placement activities for students.
Support the college's mission by creating a learning environment of mutual respect and
fairness, while encouraging creative and critical thinking.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Demonstrated leadership or participation in institutional programs with persons from diverse
backgrounds such as sexual orientation, racial, ethnic, religious, linguistic, gender, age,
socio-economic, physical and learning abilities, and a commitment to an inclusive and
equitable working / learning environment.
Four years of experience as a journey level machinist.
Experience using a recent version of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Ability to participate in instructor conferences for up to one week that may require overnight
travel outside of King County.
Ability to interact effectively with persons from diverse backgrounds such as racial, ethnic,
religious, linguistic, gender, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic, and diverse physical
and learning abilities, and a commitment to a culturally rich environment.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally.
Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
Demonstrated attention to detail required as well as previous experience maintaining
accurate records, managing multiple tasks, and planning and organizing work in order to
meet changing priorities and deadlines.
Degree or coursework in vocational education is preferred.
Completion of a state registered apprenticeship program for machinist is preferred.
Experience with at least a 5 axis CNC machine is preferred.
Experience and knowledge of Mastercam and/or SolidWorks is preferred.
One year of experience teaching or supervising is preferred.
Data entry into an online information management system is preferred.
NIMS Certification or ability to become certified in Machining Level 1 is preferred.
Ability to represent the college in a positive and professional manner, while using tack,
discretion and courtesy.
Knowledge of, understanding of, and a commitment to the education role and philosophy of
the community and technical colleges.
Ability to speak a regionally top spoken language other than English is preferred (Spanish,
Vietnamese, Russian, Somali, Chinese).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The person hired is required to provide authorization for employment in the United States. This
person is also required to become a member of the Renton Federation of Teachers (RFT) union, or
pay a representation fee within 30 calendar days after employment begins.
**The posted salary excludes summer quarter**
**Official Transcripts are required upon hire**
disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
creed, religion, honorably discharged veterans or military status, or use of a trained guide dog or
service animal, as required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII of the Civil Rights
Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Sections 504 and 508 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act and ADA Amendment Act, the Age
Discrimination Act of 1975, the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act and Washington
State Law Against Discrimination, Chapter 49.60 RCW and their implementing regulations.

If you want the details on how to apply, send me a PM and I'll hook you up. I didn't want to plaster contact information all over the internet.

i had a night school instructor who used to work a day job too. every year he had to apply for night school instructor job same as everybody else.
not sure why. maybe just 1 year employment contract and school does not offer more as it gives them a chance to more easily not to hire the same person if needed

This could be the start of a rewarding career for the right applicant. The program could either thrive or suffer with the wrong applicant. One thing that I do not see is whether or not a excellent retirement package is included for the successful applicant. If not, I would not touch this with a 10 foot pole. Just my opinion having completed a career with the same requirements in Wisconsin, the difference being Wisconsin had a excellent retirement, which I am able to enjoy.

pay is actually not high. a cnc operator working overtime a lot could easily make $10,000 more a year
but some people like to teach and do not like overtime. they want regular work hours
many teachers without tenure have to apply for job every year. basically a employment contract just for that year.
i also have heard of jobs where you got $35/hr but no benefits. any benefits you wanted you paid for from the $35/hr including vacation, medical, retirement, retirement 401k match, etc. So often what seems ok pay with no benefits is actually quite low in pay.

It takes a special person to thrive as a teacher. You can't just stand there, rare back and profess. Students are able to discern whether or not you know about what you profess to teach. I saw a student critique of an instructor, it went like this: "We all stood around him as if he was a big pile of shit, and we all had spoons."

It takes a special person to thrive as a teacher. You can't just stand there, rare back and profess. Students are able to discern whether or not you know about what you profess to teach. I saw a student critique of an instructor, it went like this: "We all stood around him as if he was a big pile of shit, and we all had spoons."

best teacher i had brought some fairly complicated parts in that he had machined and ask students to think how would they setup and program. since parts were fairly complicated most students did not know how they would make the parts. he encouraged questions from students working a day job too, to ask questions about any current jobs they had. he also often mentioned he knew of jobs if any student was looking for a job.
he actually was a gentleman and a scholar and he also taught good cnc classes. i actually was surprised to learn he had to apply for the night school teacher job every year. it was only a yearly contract

Back