What's new
What's new

Tulsa, Oklahoma Needs Machinists

BarracudaStaff

Plastic
At this time, we have approximately 75-80 machinist positions in Greater Tulsa and south of Tulsa - if you or anyone you know in the area is looking for work, please review the listings on our website at www.barracudastaffing.com.

Some of the positions available as of today's date:
CNC Boring Mill; $17/hour
Apprentice Tool & Die Maker; $15 - $18/hour DOE
Experienced Tool & Die Maker; pay DOE
Robotic Welder; pay DOE
Press Brake Operator; $13 - $15/hour DOE
CNC Machinists - Mills and Lathes - setups & minor edits; $16 - $22/hour DOE-All shifts, Days, Nights, Weekends, multiple locations
Burntable/Laser Operators; $13-$15/hour DOE

Tulsa, OK is situated along the Arkansas River: there are hundreds of miles of bike and walking trails along the river, hiking near the metroplex, cultural activities, hunting, fishing, mudding clubs, hobby clubs (model trains are big here), and much more. The economy has a thriving Aerospace Industry, Oil & Gas Industry, as well as tons of machine shops serving Global customers in the Automotive, Aerospace, and Oil & Gas industries. Check out the comparative cost of living here:
If you are tired of shoveling snow in the winter (we don't get much), dealing with hours of traffic (our traffic jams last about 15 minutes), or skyrocketing housing prices, consider Tulsa.

Why would anyone take a machining job paying $15 to start?

Since the push of politicians is towards a $15 minimum wage.

Ten years ago Skilled tradesmen in some of the plains states were getting $15 - $22 hr , so wages are stagnated.

DOE usually means we'll start you at the low end and see what you can do , then screw you when comes to top pay.

Or like a bunch of people I know hit day 89 on the probationary period and the company "rotates stock" so they don't have to pay benefits.

Staffing firms are usually pretty good at "rotating stock", I know of a few places and watched the game for a while before moving on.

Tell me the cost of living has stayed the same in Oklahoma the last fifteen years.

Thanks for the info on what you're paying.
Now give us an idea of what you're getting paid to fill those positions, and we'll know what the real market in Tulsa is like.

Chip

At this time, we have approximately 75-80 machinist positions in Greater Tulsa and south of Tulsa - if you or anyone you know in the area is looking for work, please review the listings on our website at www.barracudastaffing.com.

Some of the positions available as of today's date:
CNC Boring Mill; $17/hour
Apprentice Tool & Die Maker; $15 - $18/hour DOE
Experienced Tool & Die Maker; pay DOE
Robotic Welder; pay DOE
Press Brake Operator; $13 - $15/hour DOE
CNC Machinists - Mills and Lathes - setups & minor edits; $16 - $22/hour DOE-All shifts, Days, Nights, Weekends, multiple locations
Burntable/Laser Operators; $13-$15/hour DOE

Tulsa, OK is situated along the Arkansas River: there are hundreds of miles of bike and walking trails along the river, hiking near the metroplex, cultural activities, hunting, fishing, mudding clubs, hobby clubs (model trains are big here), and much more. The economy has a thriving Aerospace Industry, Oil & Gas Industry, as well as tons of machine shops serving Global customers in the Automotive, Aerospace, and Oil & Gas industries. Check out the comparative cost of living here:
If you are tired of shoveling snow in the winter (we don't get much), dealing with hours of traffic (our traffic jams last about 15 minutes), or skyrocketing housing prices, consider Tulsa.

Probationer, right out of HS, started @ 2.13/hr, 1963, raise after 30 days if he was kept-on at all.

On average, saw $3.34 within the first six months.

Machinist First Class, typically 8 years and more experience, $5.00/hr, same year.

Low end of the trade in that era. A dirty, dangerous, mining and rail repair job shop, marginally secure company, backwater West BG Virginia.

Per online inflation calculators those figures are $16.92, $26.53, and $39.71 here, now, 2017.

And they are difficult numbers to find, even for a trained and experienced craftsman.

That isn't (just) Oklahoma's problem. It is the entire USA and probably Canada as well.

Folk are struggling with that - surviving "somehow".

But it cannot be easy to inspire anyone to pick up stakes and move-house for half or less what their parents and Grandparents earned, "river walks" notwithstanding.

Probationer, right out of HS, started @ 2.13/hr, 1963, raise after 30 days if he was kept-on at all.

On average, saw $3.34 within the first six months.

Machinist First Class, typically 8 years and more experience, $5.00/hr, same year.

Low end of the trade in that era. A dirty, dangerous, mining and rail repair job shop, marginally secure company, backwater West BG Virginia.

Per online inflation calculators those figures are $16.92, $26.53, and $39.71 here, now, 2017.

And they are difficult numbers to find, even for a trained and experienced craftsman.

That isn't (just) Oklahoma's problem. It is the entire USA and probably Canada as well.

Folk are struggling with that - surviving "somehow".

But it cannot be easy to inspire anyone to pick up stakes and move-house for half or less what their parents and Grandparents earned, "river walks" notwithstanding.

And yet the last few jobs where I asked for $20+, with 15 years (at the time) experience, I was unreasonable and their top guys only got $1[insert number] with 20 years at the plant! :rolleyes5:

I remember one interview where I was making $19 at the time and when I told him that, he asked if I thought I would ever get that much money again.

many shops the pay rate can vary a lot. often the pay rate is really determined by how many people are leaving to work at other places in the area. company pays just enough to keep just enough employees from leaving at too fast a rate
inflation rate is hard to determine. many items go up or down faster or slower than inflation. for example 19" color tv if you factor in inflation would easily be over $1000. but isnt. people buy a bigger tv for same price. car is more expensive but it last longer and gets better gas mileage which you pay for. nothing is free. pork at $2/lb amazing but food often should be much more expensive and not going up as fast as inflation rate for some items.
1980 machinist graduated apprentice program got $13/hr in
2017 thats got to be closer to $19/hr
and if machinist is more experienced than 3 years pay should be at least $20/hr. if shops pay less it is only cause they are willing to go through higher employee turnover looking for people who are willing to accept lower wages for how long is determined by what other companies are willing to pay
never saw any company who could not find more machinist to hire when they increased what they are willing to pay. sure it is not instant. you offer jobs at $30/hr people got to think about it. some wait til one person tries the job and others ask how is it to work there ?
the shops that pay higher pay often do not advertise it. shop down the road could be paying $30/hr but the company does not want to advertise it and the employees often do not talk about it. other company paying $15/hr cannot find people and they think $15/hr is the average pay rate in the area but it isnt. only way to know average pay rate is increase pay rate til you find enough people to work at a fast enough hiring rate and they stay at the job not leaving to work somewhere else

Why should a machinist move to Oklahoma when he can make the same money on public assistance where he lives? The hourly rates you quote will not pay for a one bedroom apartment, much less transportation and food. Regards, Clark

Just not sure I want to work for an agency with the name of "Barracuda". After my experience with the Piranha Job Placement Co. I was lucky to get out with all my fingers (and other body parts). And the Shark Temps outfit? I walked in there, the desk representative said "Hello, chum".

I turned around and walked right out...

average wage when looked up in indeed machinist your area is
Machinist Salaries in Tulsa, OK | Indeed.com
$17.32/hr but like a lot of fake news what you see on internet not always accurate.
internet says my house has 1.7 bathrooms. how can a house have a .7 bathroom ? and my house only has 1 bathroom. basically got to take what you see on internet as not all the truth many times

Why should a machinist move to Oklahoma when he can make the same money on public assistance where he lives? The hourly rates you quote will not pay for a one bedroom apartment, much less transportation and food. Regards, Clark

"Apartment" ?? "Transportation" ?? "Food" ??

Why.. did you not get the memo?

Some seem to think that the Machinist of 2017 is meant to bring his goat hair tent with him, ride a donkey, and live off the wool and mutton of his flock of sheep and what he can get for the milk and cheese of his goats!

Some seem to think that the Machinist of 2017 is meant to bring his goat hair tent with him, ride a donkey, and live off the wool and mutton of his flock of sheep and what he can get for the milk and cheese of his goats!

I don't understand what your saying most of the time. But this time I couldn't agree with you more.

I don't understand what your saying most of the time. But this time I couldn't agree with you more.

Admit it was a "word game", but I have to tell yah - when some ignorant, arrogant, ASSHOLE says something like what Mike was handed:

I remember one interview where I was making $19 at the time and when I told him that, he asked if I thought I would ever get that much money again.

It hits my f*****g "purple button".

Dead-centre.

It sounds as though you have had some bad experiences with Staffing Agencies: our reviews clearly show that we care about finding the right people for the right job. It has been our experience that a machinist who can perform some basic edits and setups will start around $16-$18 depending on the company. The range in this post is due to the fact that we are trying to staff positions for several different companies rather than listing each specific job and pay rate. In this market, machinists are a hot commodity, so Contractors here do find they are compensated for their skill level. We don't have much control over the cost of living in Oklahoma, but it is increasing significantly in surrounding areas, namely north Texas, which makes this area even more attractive by comparison.

It sounds as though you have had some bad experiences with Staffing Agencies: our reviews clearly show that we care about finding the right people for the right job. It has been our experience that a machinist who can perform some basic edits and setups will start around $16-$18 depending on the company. The range in this post is due to the fact that we are trying to staff positions for several different companies rather than listing each specific job and pay rate. In this market, machinists are a hot commodity, so Contractors here do find they are compensated for their skill level. We don't have much control over the cost of living in Oklahoma, but it is increasing significantly in surrounding areas, namely north Texas, which makes this area even more attractive by comparison.

in new york state a cnc operator can easily be making over $70,000 year with overtime pay and other benefits

Tulsa has done a wonderful job of attracting new companies and retaining existing business in Aerospace and other industries. The people we typically see looking for machinist work often have less than 3 years of experience or want to make a career change from another type of work: experienced machinists don't need to look for work, they are either retained or well networked. Tulsa has a variety of affordable Vocational training, but even that can be difficult when a person is struggling for work, so we continue to struggle with the Skill Gap, hence this post!

Back