What's new
What's new

20" Lodge & Shipley Heavy Duty Lathe - manuals and info needed

noobie_1_kenobi

Plastic
Hello all,

Recently acquired L&S lathe and am struggling finding any good manuals for it. Specifically looking for info on oils and general maintenance. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Specifically looking for info on oils

ISO 46 circulating oil in head stock. A good one would be Mobil DTE Medium. A general good idea is to get old oil out and flush with kero before new oil. With the cover off you can inspect the dozens of jewel like gears in there.

ISO 68 in quick change gear box. A good one would be Mobil DTE Heavy Medium

ISO 68 way oil in apron. A good one would be Mobil Vactra #2. This assumes self oiling system for ways and slides is in working condition. On the normal old work horse these have been plugged up for the last 40 years - helping to wear things out

The Model X came out about 1936 and went away about 1956 (it got new clothes and became the 2X or Power Turn)

good manuals for it

Here is a Model X manual

Lodge Shipley Model x 14"16"2"25" Lathe Op Part Manual 44 | eBay

And here is a parts book

Lodge Shipley Model x Lathe Repair Parts Manual | eBay

Last edited:
I agree with the oiling instructions.

The first manual you linked to is both operator's and parts.

LODGE & SHIPLEY Model X 14″16″20″25″ Lathe Operator’s & Parts Manual

I'm not sure what the format is of the second parts manual. I haven't seen one of those in person, and the seller doesn't really make it clear. I bet it's explosive views, based on other Lodge & Shipley manuals I've seen with that cover, but it appears to only cover the 13".

Back