What's new
What's new

36" Model G Lodge & Shipley S/N 33530

johnoder

Diamond
This was on Erie PA CL August 2012. When you ordered their biggest in '41 you got a Model G, not a Model X, which was only made up to 22" at that time. Note L2 or maybe L3, just a lead screw, no feed rod, primary side of QC tucked up under headstock just like the start of this design in 1893, strange versions of the apron clutch levers - probably because the apron was so low, and feet cast integral with bed. Looks like a very wide bed.

Head stock by then full of huge Timken spindle bearings and anti friction bearings throughout.

I take it the length of pipe is to hold up a tarp.

Attachments

• 36modelG01.jpg
    36modelG01.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 477
  • 36modelG02.jpg
    36modelG02.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 528
  • 36modelG03.jpg
    36modelG03.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 558
  • 36modelG04.jpg
    36modelG04.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 587
  • 36modelG05.jpg
    36modelG05.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 462
John,

Looks like there is a hanger at each end of the bed for a rod of some sort. Like for the rod thats setting up in the spindle??? Think that maybe a feed rod?

The bigger 25" size uses an electric clutch and brake, not the mechanical clutch brake the smaller one's have. Looks like this one may have electric clutch/brake?

They sure proud of the price on this lathe! Means my is worth at least half that much!:D

Ken

I watched a big W&S fetch 45K a yr or so ago at auction, where it takes two. (supposedly)

On CL it only takes one!

--------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

Think the "round thing" is a pipe for supporting a tarp. No "G" ever had a feed rod. I do see it has rapids on the back.

Okay I see the hangers - that is for the mechanical clutch actuation rod - the rod the levers go on - so maybe that is the clutch rod in the spindle

Also missing the feed stop rod. In the shot of the QC box, you can see the stop linkage hanging down and an empty bracket. This is just in front of the leadscrew reverse setup. Reason the price is up there is the 300" bed. That'll add at least a zero to the same machine with a 6ft bed.

Also missing the feed stop rod. In the shot of the QC box, you can see the stop linkage hanging down and an empty bracket. This is just in front of the leadscrew reverse setup. Reason the price is up there is the 300" bed. That'll add at least a zero to the same machine with a 6ft bed.

Here is a "G" with the stuff in place. The clutch rod is the feed stop rod also - if so equipped - has to have the dog clutch (in lead screw) and its lever shown on the 36" photos

25ModelGLS.jpg picture by johnoder - Photobucket

When turning between "true" centers, like in your pic - with an "L" spindle, what are you s'posed to doo with the chuck nut? (not sure what propper term is)

Just let it clank and bang, or what?

I have had an L spindle, but never ran it w/o a chuck.

-----------------

I have a short one about that size the feed rod is a keyway in the leadscrew.

Makes things interesting when you forget to lockout the 1/2 nut lever and it vibrates into threading mode (no interlock).

That rapid sure would be nice it takes 3 men and a mule to crank the carrige with out it.

Just a note on forum performance. I started this thread and uploaded photos at the same time. The old bug must have gone away - like not being able to upload photos in first post with out coming back and doing an edit.

When turning between "true" centers, like in your pic - with an "L" spindle, what are you s'posed to doo with the chuck nut? (not sure what propper term is)

Just let it clank and bang, or what?

I have had an L spindle, but never ran it w/o a chuck.

-----------------

Like John says, between centers you need a drive plate. But it is a valid question with a collet set-up. There are spindle nose protectors to cover the outside taper that are held on with the taper nut.

There is a video on you tube of a G turning a 24 inch solid bar, I watch that video in aw of the power. I found the video by typing in Lodge And Shipley lathe, maybe someone will put up a link. It is a green L&S.

Like John says, between centers you need a drive plate. But it is a valid question with a collet set-up. There are spindle nose protectors to cover the outside taper that are held on with the taper nut.

All the collet options I've seen for L series spindles used some form of spindle piece to hold the collet. My L-1 R-P originally had a push collet setup, but now uses a later 5C setup.

Erie PA ?

John, I am in Erie PA. Does anyone happen to know who had this 36" x 300" Lodge & Shipley Lathe here in Erie ?
The Craigslist post is of course long expired. I assume its long gone.
I am looking for an inexpensive lathe that is 24~36" swing by a minimum of 22' centers, with Taper and 2 steadies.

This was on Erie PA CL August 2012. When you ordered their biggest in '41 you got a Model G, not a Model X, which was only made up to 22" at that time. Note L2 or maybe L3, just a lead screw, no feed rod, primary side of QC tucked up under headstock just like the start of this design in 1893, strange versions of the apron clutch levers - probably because the apron was so low, and feet cast integral with bed. Looks like a very wide bed.

Head stock by then full of huge Timken spindle bearings and anti friction bearings throughout.

I take it the length of pipe is to hold up a tarp.

There is a video on you tube of a G turning a 24 inch solid bar, I watch that video in aw of the power. I found the video by typing in Lodge And Shipley lathe, maybe someone will put up a link. It is a green L&S.

25" Lodge & Shipley - YouTube

Way old thread, but that's the video in question. Go to that guys YouTube channel and he's got a bunch more videos, most impressive to me is the video of the 30' planer.

I saved a 25"x16' Model G from being cut up and put in the dumpster. Compared to the 24" Pacemaker I also saved from the same jokers, the Model G is more of a machine.

Back