What's new
What's new

3ch with power overarm,does'nt feed in mode

Might help

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6524.pdf

If a new to you installation, be sure input sheave under right hand door is turning the direction of the arrow cast on it

Its worth noting the regular horizontal without powered overarm WILL ONLY FEED with horizontal spindle turning. Its entirely possible this was also true of the powered overarm versions

Last edited:
As John noted on the standard horizontals I'm familiar with there was one motor in the machine. The drive mechanism is such that there are two power take offs into the knee. The first is live to the motor which drives the rapids, the second is clutched to the spindle to drive the power feed. When the clutch is engaged the spindle turns based on the selection from the speed box in the upper body and the feed (if engaged) operates based on the selection at the knee. When you pull up on the rapids you actually drop out the power feed and clutch over to the live drive and over speed the input. So... the question is how does that all work with a power overarm since the overarm has a motor in it. The ops manual should tell us if we can locate one. So the machine is a 3CH with power overarm?

After I looked to be sure it's a 4ch.It did work in horz last time I used it about 10 years ago.
I'm thinking if I find the contactor for for the feed motor I should be able
to trace to the horz motor switch, Three position switch, ram, ram and horz,
and horz.
Thanks for the info

Linked parts book in Post #2 (which also applies to 4CH) shows motor outside knee and inside with drive pulley assy

Last edited:
Well I tried the extra push on the start button, it took 4 push's,feed motor
started.Shut it all down ,restarted it and no mater how many time I pushed
the button it wouldn't start.
At least I know it works,just have to find the problem.
Thanks Jim

It sounds like it may be bad contactor, if it's similar to my 310ch.

You can engage the contactors manually and narrow down which one it is that way. If unsure on how to do it post a pic and I can point it out.

Back