What's new
What's new

440 to 208v 3 phase

Metalcutter

Titanium
I'm looking at a Cincinnati Milacron 2MK.

It's set up for 440v. It's about 25 years old.

Does anyone think it may have the ability to accomodate the change to 208V?

Maybe a big multi tap transformer or motors which have 230/208 - 440v ability?

Any encouragement here would be a help.

Regards,

Stan-

Quite common for the motor to be 220/440 voltage. Should be easy to change over if it is a dual voltage. The info would be on the nameplate on the motor if you can get a look at it. The only problem might be in the switch itself which may have a 440volt magnetic starting transformer. These can be replaced easily with a 220volt. A lot of my motors are dual voltage and I am running all of them on 208 volt 3 phase.
Michael Moore

Stan,

Most motors are made to run on high or low voltage by different jumper wire configurations. The motor controls and for that matter the rest of the machine will be perhaps a bigger challenge. Many machines do have multi-tap transformers for control voltage, you will have to look at the machine and determine what can be used and or what you need to replace. If the motor starters are a heater type you will need to change them and or replace the electronic type to higher ampacity, the current will double at low voltage so make sure you have the correct fuses and other overloads.

Steve

Look around for a step up/step down transformer. I got a 15KVA for $100, far less than it would have cost to replace al the electronic controls in my VN bridge mill. Hook phase converter wires to the line side of the transformer and mill wires to the load side..Instant 440. I also now have the ability to bid on those real cheap 440 only HLVS and such.

Thanks for your reply..

I guess the shop owner used to have 208v and saved his 440v UP^ voltage transformer. I'm going to get that too $250.

That way I know it'll work. *Smile

But! I appreciate you effort. *Smile

Best regards,

Stan-

Be sure to check out all the 110v stuff (if any) included. Coolant pumps, lights & readouts can be hooked up in some pretty unusual ways on machines that have been around. You may want to provide a separate 110v service drop to those items.

Walter

Back