What's new
What's new

Acramatic 950 - Serial Communication to DNC not working

MicrobicTomb

Plastic
Hello everyone, I am really stumped on this one and hoping for some help.

What I have:
-Acramatic 950 with a 5-Axis vertical
-Focal*Point DNC software
-Serial 25-pin RS232 cable
- 2 422CFC converters (1 on each end of the cable) only on this machine.

First off, our DNC is connected to a 25-pin multi-port device which connects 3 other Acramatics and no problems with communications on them.

The problem: When you try to save a file/program it just says "Saving" with bar lines after it and will time out after awhile. Originally it was faulting for "Device Error - Framing" but after all my troubleshooting it's just the Saving issue now...

What I've done troubleshooting wise:
- Replaced both RS232-RS422 converters (We've had issues where these go bad and the program will still save but loading will just say 0 and never load.)
- Loopback tests on DNC multi-port and on the serial port for the Acramatic (both passed). *Cannot do loopback test through 422 converters due to design
- Ran temporary Cat5E cable with new 25 pin connectors in both Null Modem and Straight Through configurations
- Rewired both ends of original cable to standard RS232 Null Modem and removed the 422 converters
- Rewired cable back to original pinout for 422 converters and reinstalled converters

It doesn't matter if I have DTR and DSR jumpered on both sides or crossed together, still won't save.

My boss just ordered and wants to replace the cable, I don't think this is the issue but I'm at a loss.

Settings on the Acramatic and DNC sides for communications (matching other machines as well):
DNC:
Baud- 19200
End of Block- CR LF (default)
E.O.B. Nulls- 0
Data Type- ISO
Parity- EVEN
Handshake- RTS/CTS
Data Bits- 7
Stop Bits- 1

Acramatic:
Serial Device- DATALINE
Serial Port- AUX 1
Data Rate- 19200
Data Bits- -
Data Parity- EVEN
Stop Bits- 1
Add CR- YES
Protocol Level- RS-491 L1
CTRL CHAR Parity- YES
Leader Count/Suppress LF/Form Feed/Form Lines/Page Lines/Page Width- -----

:scratchchin:

Solved

For reference:
Ordered a RS232 mini tester and checked signals with LED's on tester. Found both the main cable that feeds to the machine and the cable that comes from the bulkhead connector to the 25-pin Dsub were both bad. Ran temps to both and was able to save and load files.

This was after multiple tries in making new cables and re-soldering new connectors on both cables, continuity checks on both passed as well as loopback tests. Wasn't until I tried this tester that I found the problem.

Hi My Friend

this is Jesus Rico From Mexico

I need your help if posible, I have the same problem as you at that time

I need to communicate Cimco DNC with Acramatic 950 CNC control

with the info you are sharing here is almost done, but I have not any expirience with Acramatic

Could you kindlly share with me the pinout of serial cable?

thanks in advance with your further help

Best Regards

Back