What's new
What's new

'American' ,axelson, etc making it to europe

pressbrake1

Stainless
Over the years ive been poisoned by this forum by
Reading write ups and pictures of heavy lathes made by the abovementioned.
Im wondering if any made it to europe and england bearing in mind a lot of english lathes ended up in the US

In the UK good lathes are hard to find due to the ravages of the scrap mans hammer and export to india pakistan etc

I have friends who travel to the US to buy cars and trucks which has started me thinking about doing the same but bringing back a big lathe (ive got pacemaker lust!)

How would I go about finding one in such a big place!
I dont wish to pay dealer prices for a pretend scotchbrite and paint rebuild!

Good Evening Pressbrake1,
The lathes that you described are here, but they are not cheap anymore and neither are the men that use them. The quality, and ruggedness of these tools has not been surpassed since the mid-sixties. The larger Axelsons 24" +, are selling at a premium. There's a machinery dealer in Texas that has an excellent inventory of some large lathes, when the price of oil recovers their stock will surely disappear. I will find out the name of this dealer and send you a link to their site.
otrlt

Thanks for the above replies
Im not looking for dirt cheap , would be nice though! Im just very wary of dealer makeovers as Ive come across a few in my years in this game

Quite a few US built lathes came to the UK during the 1939-45 war under " Lend-Lease " etc.

Given the fact they'd have been 70 years old at least most of them will have been scrapped years ago.

I would never buy a machine tool without seeing it run. Even then it can be a minefield.

Do you want an instant runner or a re-build project ? How big a lathe have you got in mind ? Some guys come on here talking about looking for a " big " lathe and they mean 6ft between centres !

Regards Tyrone.

Please Tyrone, I consider anything under 12' centres a small lathe!
Please dont assume im a home shop machinist

Ive rebuilt lathes in the past if they were cheap and big or ive been had over, that happened just the once though

Thanks Tom they have a interesting stock of US and euro stuff

Please Tyrone, I consider anything under 12' centres a small lathe!
Please dont assume im a home shop machinist

Ive rebuilt lathes in the past if they were cheap and big or ive been had over, that happened just the once though

Thanks Tom they have a interesting stock of US and euro stuff

I take it you want a decent sized runner then. I had a quick look through Tom's site and there are quite a few good looking lathes on there. I'm not aware of a British dealer with such a wide range of machines on offer.

Regards Tyrone

Hello again Pressbrake1,
I understand your cost concerns, but you are looking for the best. The price of shipping alone will be substantial, 10 tons to England, you want to get the best tool. You are looking at a minimum $75,000 (delivered) on a large Axelson- Monarch. Try Machinery Consultants, Inc. and N & R Machine Sales.
otrlt

Well, here are two Craigslist examples to review:

LARG-CINCINNATI-LATHE 19X96 NICE

And in Seattle...

Lathe Mazak 21 x12 come with accessory

Nice try, but... Sorry, I just can't think of a cone head Cinci OR a Mazak in the same light I see a Pacemaker. The "Pacemaker" name, although a creation of the marketing dept. I'm sure, is a pretty realistic assessment of the machine's quality and ability. It really is top of the heap with very few real rivals. As far as rivals go, I actually a prefer L&S Powerturn, but that's just me. I've never run an Axelson or a DSG, from what I hear, they are at the same level???

Are DSG, Lang, Holbrook, Cardiff,... not good enough for you?

Big dsg are nearly all gone scrap or export
Ive been looking for a lang for several years but none have shown up
Cardiff are small I own the biggest holbrook which has short centres only 4mt tailstock and small spindle bore

Really I should have ignored your pointless post

Back