What's new
What's new

American Pacemaker Half nuts

gmach10

Hot Rolled
We've got a Pacemaker serial #73258-52 at work. The lever for the half nuts has no detent left so the lever just falls into the engaged position if you don't hang on to it. A real dangerous PITA. Parts manual shows what appears to be a ball bearing with a spring behind it captured by a screw. Is this located under or behind the bracket that supports the spindle engage handle or should I be looking some place else?

i don't remember a spring on my machine either. the other lever on the apron keeps the half nuts locked out unless it's in the middle position. i will see if i took some pictures of when i had mine apart. i did notice that the half nuts will try to close if you move the other lever so you need to hold the half nut lever in place. Got any pics of the machine you have?

I ran the same machine at my old job and I recall there being a detent on the lever. This machine the handle just flops. Saw on YouTube where a guy claimed that by tightening the lever retaining nut is the way to correct it. I don't think that's the answer. I repaired a Cincinnati tray top once and the half nuts used a set of springs that after the lever takes them beyond the center of the eccentric holds them there. When engaged the springs hold them in position.
The lever you're referring to reverses the feeds. They are set up so you're not supposed to be able to engage the half nuts and the one feeds at the same time. Although our shop bought a new Turnado made under the Southbend name. Service guy came out for a recall issue. While he was there he had to install something because this was an issue with this particular machine.

I ran the same machine at my old job and I recall there being a detent on the lever. This machine the handle just flops. Saw on YouTube where a guy claimed that by tightening the lever retaining nut is the way to correct it. I don't think that's the answer. I repaired a Cincinnati tray top once and the half nuts used a set of springs that after the lever takes them beyond the center of the eccentric holds them there. When engaged the springs hold them in position.
The lever you're referring to reverses the feeds. They are set up so you're not supposed to be able to engage the half nuts and the one feeds at the same time. Although our shop bought a new Turnado made under the Southbend name. Service guy came out for a recall issue. While he was there he had to install something because this was an issue with this particular machine.

Every lathe I've ever worked on has an interlock mechanism that prevents the feed mechanism and the screw cutting mechanism from being engaged at the same time.

Regards Tyrone.

Back