What's new
What's new

Anyone bidding on 26" Axelson in NE Texas?

Glug

Hot Rolled
Saw this coming up soon, ending Monday. If anyone is planning on seriously bidding, PM me and then I will not post the auction. If I don't hear from anyone tomorrow (Sunday) by noon, I'll post it.

7ac10227bb038bbc7e40_1.jpg

7ac10227bb038bbc7e40_2.jpg

7ac10227bb038bbc7e40_3.jpg

7ac10227bb038bbc7e40_4.jpg

7ac10227bb038bbc7e40_5.jpg

7ac10227bb038bbc7e40_6.jpg

Three for sale (up to 24 X 192) in same shop on Houston CL - hoping for any "reasonable" offer

Just looked those up.

Their starting prices are kinda high. Especially considering the big one is ]sitting outside, have no chuck or tool post.

Looks like they also have a W&S 4A, one of those would be cool.

pic 15 shows it is a 16x54.

The headstock has the later style cartridge oil filter so it should have toolsteel ways.

Probably worth cleaning up if you have a use for a lathe that small size, have a toolpost and some spare D1-6 chucks and you can buy it for $200 or so.

With no chuck or toolpost and mystery condition it doesn't make sense to pay more than that. You'll have way more than it's worth into it than just buying a known good one.

Why cant these guys throw a couple of sheets of old roofing iron over and spray the lathe with a coat of waste oil.There is some good machines sitting out in the weather.A toolsteel bed would develop serious rust very quickly.

I saw this lathe too, I think the Standard-Modern tag is from the S-M listed in another lot at same location (I have one like that). I thought about it because I could use one with a longer bed, but do not want to rush back to Tx yet, or move it twice..... Go for it!

Why cant these guys throw a couple of sheets of old roofing iron over and spray the lathe with a coat of waste oil.There is some good machines sitting out in the weather.A toolsteel bed would develop serious rust very quickly.

Because they just don't care! I did mil surplus for many years, standard mo was bring in a beautiful pristine machine and plunk it out in the yard for 1 year minimum to get a good patina, then auction it off and snivel at the bidders for being cheap.

Wow that went for a lot of money for what it is!

More than I expected. At least it isn't a scrapper price.The thing looks so clean, with residual liquid, I wonder if it was pressure washed. Of course oily grime was good protection.

In the second photo, what's that small knob and lever just above the crossfeed wheel?

In the second photo, what's that small knob and lever just above the crossfeed wheel?

The second photo shows the back of the machine, but I assume you are looking at the crossfeed micrometer stop. The lever engages it and the knob is fine adjustment. It works in both directions good for OD and ID threading or finish passes when you don't want to drag the tool across.

I thread on my Axelson frequently and really like that feature.

Hard to see in pictures, but Axelsons have 2 crossfeed dials. One fine and one coarse so you can keep track of exactly where you are. One has a .500" range and the other covers 10" or so.

Because they just don't care! I did mil surplus for many years, standard mo was bring in a beautiful pristine machine and plunk it out in the yard for 1 year minimum to get a good patina, then auction it off and snivel at the bidders for being cheap.

"useless , obsolete , scrapmetal" . it sits outside so that piles of "good" stuff like office furniture,
windows 95 and SUN_SPARC era computers, CRT monitors , dot-matrix printers , and xerox machines can be warehoused safely indoors..... we don't want any of that stuff getting wet and ruined !

More than I expected. At least it isn't a scrapper price.The thing looks so clean, with residual liquid, I wonder if it was pressure washed. Of course oily grime was good protection.

I was going to bid on it,how much did it sell for?

Back