What's new
What's new

Anyone know what this Steady Rest fits?

swatkins

Titanium
When I picked up my Axelson 16 x 30 it had a steady rest that was painted the same colors as the lathe. I though it was for the Axelson but it is not... It is a well made piece and is about 2 inches too high and the base is about two inches narrower than my Axelsons ways... I can't find any markings on the tool but the crappy paint job may have hidden them.

srest1.png

srest2.png

srest3.png

srest4.png

I have been looking for an easy way to modify the rest to fit my axelson but the "hollow" legs of the rest do not easily lend itself to modification. The best idea I have had so far is to cut the existing base off and machine a new, wider base. After cutting the legs I would be left with a "U" shaped casting that is not easy to mount to. Would probably have to machine a U shaped block, about 1" high, that would fit inside the leg and allow me to bolt through the thin leg casting and bolt to the new base.

Of course I would love to find the correct steady rest and sent this one on to it's correct lathe...

With the exception of the latch, it looks like a Monarch steady.
Harry

It could well be.. I found another thread that had a Monarch steady rest for a 16" and it shows the same dimensions for the base as this one. ( I think you also identified that one :) ) There was a Monarch lathe in the same shop as the Axelson, where it is now , who knows. (Was purchased from a shop around Dallas/ Central Texas about two years ago)

Maybe the two lathes had their steadys mixed up....

I've got a Monarch steady rest that someone nicely welded (nickel silver brazed) a chunk of flat bar to the bottom to bring it up to the center line of my lathe on the flat of the lathe bed. I've got to add material to it fit the funky way on the other side of the bed. The "U" shaped clamp was used on Lehmann steady rest, too.

In a way I'm lucky in that I need to lower this rest to the correct height. Need to take it down 2 inches and make the base 2 inches wider. After cutting the legs there will still be more than enough room to easily work the claming bolt.

I've got a Monarch steady rest that someone nicely welded (nickel silver brazed) a chunk of flat bar to the bottom to bring it up to the center line of my lathe on the flat of the lathe bed. I've got to add material to it fit the funky way on the other side of the bed. The "U" shaped clamp was used on Lehmann steady rest, too.

Post a picture of the one you have with measurements. If I have to modify one, and the one I have fits yours without modifications, maybe we should swap...

Post a picture of the one you have with measurements. If I have to modify one, and the one I have fits yours without modifications, maybe we should swap...

You're is a inch too short, from the centerline of the SR to the flat on bottom. That's right in line with mine before the flat bar was welded to the bottom.

Only if John had a 18" Monarch instead of a 16", it probably would fit his just perfect for a second SR! He has the bed length to run two steady's.

I remember seeing one many years ago, about the size of John's, that had two carriages on it! That was over there around Porter. Ken

I can't get to the Monarch steady rest at the moment. It's buried deep behind the Lodge right now. First chance I get, I'll try to get to it and take some pictures to post. Meantime, here's one that I bought thinking it would fit. It's too short, too! By the dimensions, it appears to be for a 14" L & S. But when I'm finished with it, It'll be for my 20" L & S.

Attachments

• DSCN0133.jpg
    DSCN0133.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 313
Something else I just thought about, and I hate even thinking about it, too. Ten years later...

I had a old Reed Prentice SR that dad modified to fit his 16" Axelson. The guy who bought the lathe didn't want the SR and left it behind. Well in the mist of cleaning up and getting rid of stuff on the family homestead, the SR and a couple of other accessories that went to that lathe along with about 5,000 lbs of junk, raw material, and other stuff, went to the scrap man.:cryin: Still makes me sick thinking about it!

Just had to get it off my chest. I know it don't help you any, but only if I had kept it....

the SR and a couple of other accessories that went to that lathe along with about 5,000 lbs of junk, raw material, and other stuff, went to the scrap man.:cryin: Still makes me sick thinking about it!

Just had to get it off my chest. I know it don't help you any, but only if I had kept it....

Maybe you should join LTAA! (Lathe tools abuser anonymous!) How the hell can you live with yourself? :D

I carried off about 20 lbs of stuff over the weekend from John's place. The steady rest may fit in there now!!!
I wish you would have told me on Monday... It's been 4 days now and I'm sure John has put in 40 lbs more by now... I've had to go on a diet in the hopes he would invite me back!

On the 15th PM member wolfenstien sent me a PM asking if I had modified the steady rest yet. He has the lathe my rest fits and was hoping that the rest was still in the original shape and we could work out some kind of deal.

wolfenstien I have sent you two PM's with no response. I see you have not been back on PM since the 15th and you have no email listed. I writing here with the hope that you are reading PM, just not logged in, and will reply to my PM's.

Back