What's new
What's new

B&S 0B Advice and Missing Control Lever

USNmechanic

Aluminum
Hi all. I'm looking at picking up a Brown & Sharpe No. 0B horizontal mill this weekend. I've talked the seller down to $250 for it, about 40 slitting saws, and a couple crates of miscellaneous cutters and HSS scrap. It comes with the overarms, but no support yokes. It's also missing the starter, and possibly the reversing switch if this had one. There is a cover that was removed on the back under the motor that had three black wires leading into the compartment, but were cut off.
Here's some pictures of it:
B&S 1.jpg
B&S 2.jpg
B&S 3.jpg

I know that $250 isn't a crazy deal for this, but I like the smaller size of this machine and already have 40+ NMTB40 tool holders and an arbor. I like to work on the older machines and the rust and grime doesn't bother me either. I did have a chance to briefly look it over, and the table and knee have very little backlash in all axis. I was not able to run it though.

I noticed after the visit that it appears a lever is broken and missing from the front right of the saddle. Does anyone know what that selects? Here's a picture of the missing lever, as well as the same lever on an Omniversal. It's the lever to the very far right, not the longitudinal feed control or table clamp:
B&S 0B Table.jpg
Omniversal Table.jpg

Any other advice on this machine would be greatly appreciated! I can't find a reference to a No. 0B at all, but it seems like a smaller version of the No. 2 Plain. Thanks!

-Keith

I noticed after the visit that it appears a lever is broken and missing from the front right of the saddle. Does anyone know what that selects? Here's a picture of the missing lever, as well as the same lever on an Omniversal. It's the lever to the very far right, not the longitudinal feed control or table clamp:
View attachment 223100
View attachment 223101

I found a description of that handle in B&S’s Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines. I believe it’s to disconnect the table feed screw when using a rotary table and power feed.

Any more advice on this machine would still be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

-Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back