What's new
What's new

Bullard VTL help

The Extractor

Cast Iron
Hey all, new to the forum. Been reading till my eyes dry out.
Im doing some temp work for my family's shop and we have no maintenance man so I am filling in.
It is a 54" serial 29318 cutmaster and the power feed just up and quit last week.
The rapid works fine but when you try to engage the feed the lever is springy and wont engage. Can anyone school me on these and how they operate? Thanks in adavance.:cheers::cheers: - A

Had a similar problem on the Cincy #3 vertical at work when it first got here. Turned out the Y axis feed lever pawls apparently had faulty heat treat or case hardening and had worn smooth, so there was no detent or definite notch of the handle between feed and neutral. In that case, I just built up braze over the worn areas and filed back down to the original shape. Works great, but I figure it'll wear a lot faster than the original. It'll still probaby outlive me with the reduced duty it sees now.

It mysteriously fixed itslef then broke again and fixed itself. I need to know how this thing works so I have an idea of where to start looking next time. Can anyone help ? Thanks. - A:o

Are you talking about the lever in the control pendent? If you don't have the manual I suggest you get one. Bourne & Koch (SP) is the place you want to try. Lots of parts in that pendent,
Bill

Are you talking about the lever in the control pendent? If you don't have the manual I suggest you get one. Bourne & Koch (SP) is the place you want to try. Lots of parts in that pendent,
Bill

Yea I would get a manual for this job if posible I saw a fella take one apart one time who was unsure of what to do with it. As I recall it stayed apart for a couple of shifts untill someone with prior experience showed up to fix it. I know this post isn't helping you but I'm alittle like Oddball on Kelly's heroes, I only run em man, I don't know what makes em work. Sorry I coudn't resist that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The original prob is fixed but now there are new ones. leakage from the solenoid bank and not building oil pressure.:angry:

Share with us how you fixed the original problem. As far as your leaks, I hope that they are on the outside of the pressure plate (thats were all the solinoids mount) as to remove the pressure plate looks to be a lot of work. I'm just learning about cutmasters as I had one given to me and passed it on to a customer that could use it. The riggers removed the pendent disconnecting all the wires back in the electrical box and just hooked them back up to were they might go. I had to straighten all that out before I could get anything to work. Now I'm just fixing little stuff on it. I did change out all the fluids and the hydraulic unit takes 75 gallons and the lubrication tank is 45 gallons I believe. Anyway, it's a lot of oil. First thing I would check is the oil level, needs to be between the 2 site glasses on the siderail side of the machine. The oil pumps are driven mechanicallly, not by seperate motors. There is also 2 large filters under a cover near the base on the other side. Rotate the handles on top to scrape the filters clean and see if that helps. Do you have the manuals? By the way, I retract the statement about Bourne and Koch, they are of no help at all unless you want to have them send a service engineer out to help. I am a service engineer, called them for some tech info and they kept stonewalling me. The place that Esteve mentioned seemed more helpfull. Keep us posted. It would be nice to have some Bullard techs in here to help to.
Bill

The only thing I fixed was a bad drive key for the rapid. I believe that all along it has been mostly due lack of oil due to the leaks on the solenoid bank manifold. I called several places the places that have been the most helpful so far are Gates Machinery in TX and Devlieg Bullard. Supposedly they have a tech that has been fixing these things for 25? years and is supposed to give me a call today. - A

SDC12995.jpg

Last edited:

Back