What's new
What's new

K&T 2H plain horizontal feed problem

jwcolby

Aluminum
Hello all,

Everything on my 2H horizontal (Serial number 19-3519) was working just fine until this last Saturday while milling new KDK 150 series tool holders for one of my lathes. Friday the mill ran without a hitch. I started it up Saturday morning, engaged the X axis feed, pulled up on the rapid traverse handle, and it made a popping/grinding (hard to explain horrible sound). It's difficult to locate where it's coming from. Regardless of which axis or axis direction I engage, it does not feed and makes the sound when the handle is pulled up (which I have only done very briefly a couple of times since it can't be good). I took the cover off the feed rapid traverse drive housing. Both shafts are spinning away like they should when the spindle is engaged. I did notice that the table feed shaft (I believe that's the name of it - the one above the rapid traverse drive) stops turning whenever I engage any of the feeds. Any ideas what direction I should take now would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jeremy

If your motor is still turning the correct direction, there are a few things you can check. The easiest is the clutch adjustment in the knee. There is a small access panel on the right side under the table. Inside there's a small clutch, a ring with holes in the diameter and a spring loaded pin. Pull the pin and advance it a notch, or back a notch to adjust.

If that doesn't work the next step is to dig into the machine. I think Keith Rucker made a youtube video describing the process.

Kearney & Trecker Model 2H Horizontal Mill Rapid Traverse Clutch Repair - YouTube

-Josh

Thanks Josh, I'll check it out. Keith usually has some pretty good videos.

The clutch being out of adjustment could cause that horrible popping/grinding sound?

Interesting that you mention the motor running in the right direction. I had been running it in reverse; I meant to switch two of my three phase wires to make it run the right direction but hadn't since I first wired it up. I finally got around to it Saturday morning before I ran it. I switched the wires, pushed the spindle reverse knob in, verified the spindle was running in the correct direction, and started it up. That's when the problem began. How would that have affected it?

Jeremy

After thinking about it a bit more, I am not sure how the knee clutch would affect it. I was just told to check that clutch by a tech who deals with a lot of k&t's when I was working on mine.

As far as the motor turning correctly, I believe the feeds/rapid will not work and the oil pump will not pump oil.

Check the motor is turning correctly by the arrow cast into the pulley.

Main clutch pulley (the one the motor drives) has to rotate in accordance with the direction arrow cast in to that pulley

Interesting that you mention the motor running in the right direction. I had been running it in reverse; I meant to switch two of my three phase wires to make it run the right direction but hadn't since I first wired it up. I finally got around to it Saturday morning before I ran it. I switched the wires, pushed the spindle reverse knob in, verified the spindle was running in the correct direction, and started it up. That's when the problem began. How would that have affected it?

Jeremy

Went home for lunch and checked it out. That was the problem. Hopefully I didn't f'nhimer something up. I didn't have time to try it all out, just turned it on; running the wrong way. I guess that's why it was running so well before I switched the wires. Gotta make mistakes once in a while, I guess.

Many thanks,
Jeremy

Back