What's new
What's new

Cinci 1b new owner questions

SinCityShooter

Aluminum
I just picked this mill up a few days ago and I'm doing its every 30 year cleaning :eek: and checking for needed repairs and maintance.

1st, I can't find much documentation so could someone give me the proper belt sizes for the motor, both timing belt and vbelt.

2nd question, this timing pulley at top has some end play between it and the quill. How much is normal? I took the cover off and looked at the spindle where the rollers ride and you can see some side wear like it was used to tap holes all day.

On last question for now, can I use any good quality AW-46. I bought 2 gal of Vectra 25 and it was $28 a gal and I can get my house brand AW-46 for $9 gal. I would rather spend the money else where like cleaners.

Oh I did think of one more thing. If I pull the electrical board will I have access to the bottom of the coolant tank? I don't have the pump casting but it looks like nasty filthy wheel bearing grease with dirt and metal shavings about a inch thick

Thanks guys.

C MIKe

Toolmaster lub.jpg 1A toolmaster, built in 1956.

Toolmaster Lubrication P 47 in Vactra # 2 P 54 is Heavy medium hydraulic oil

Hmmm, I've looked at both heads. It sure looks like a 1b. I'm not home right now but I do have one pic on my phone, with the head off. I'll take another pic later tonight.

I'm pretty sure that I have that vectra already. How much does it hold? How do I clean the knee?

e860774f598d9ae36d8b8dcc9361aad7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Here's another shot of the head. It sure looks like a 1b, wonder if its a Frankenstein? Thanks for any help. I'll what to put any oil in it till I find what it is. Once again thanks Mike.

20160515_001248.jpg

Shooter, you have a 1B head.

I've been trying to collect more information about the Toolmaster serial numbers, but from what I'm finding, it appears that the 1A, 1B, 1C all had the same "6J1V" in the beginning of their serial number making it confusing. But I haven't collected enough data to confirm this. It is possible to switch the heads and bodies.

Cincinnati published a service manual that includes instructions on how to dissemble everything on these mills, and includes explosive view diagrams of the parts. Like this one here: CINCINNATI Toolmaster Milling Machines 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, H-V Service Manual

But like a lot of manuals it doesn't state the size of the belts it only gives the parts numbers, and it doesn't specify the type of tension. It just states to tighten them. Instructions on taking it apart, maintenance, and seeing how it all goes together, it could save you some time.

Hey Matt, I found another number on the bottom of the knee way. Its JG-5C50-166. The first one was on the top of the same way.

I took a few more pics of things that need help(or not) or of question. Thanks for all the help. I've found through searching here that I can just use a good quality AW-46 in the head but I should I use a way oil for the way oilers?

Do these pulleys look correct?

This looks like it was welded up, then cut with the end mill straight. I could be wrong though, can anyone look what theirs looks like?

They welded the timing pulley on to the shaft. Debating one what to do with this.

How do I clean this?

I will add its a LO model. The serial numbers book under serial number location, Yoolmaster ans contourmaster, On top of column front face between dovetail ways.

I have just picked up a 1B and it came with the parts manual. I am looking for the spec on the quill lock, is there any chance you can measure yours for me?
I need the thread sizes on the left hand and right hand threads and the overall dimensions.
Do you need a scan of the parts manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gentlemen I need some big time help. One thing I never noticed(had so much other stuff going I never looked it over really well till not to long ago). I pulled the cover off the table feed and to my dismay all the gears were removed. I simply only have a cover and levers. Does anyone know where I could get the gears or maybe the dimensions so I could make them(if possible). Talking about being bummed out.

Jeffers, I want to give you a huge thanks for those table feed pages. I only wish they had some spec like how many teeth the gears are. That's a great start though. I did find a pic here of one with the cover off that I was able to blow up to just about actual size so I may be able to do something with it.

Thanks and let know if you need more on that spindle lock. I think mine is a little different. The part you're asking about on mine has a part number stamped in it so I know its original.

Back