What's new
What's new

Cinci 2MI rapid sticking

M. Moore

Titanium
My 2MI works well and I really like the powered overarm vertical head.
Lately when I have been rapiding the knee down or up the rapid movement continues after I release the clutch lever.
I then have to toggle the up or down lever to get it to stop the rapid movement. It is hit and miss, doesn't do it every time but often enough to be troublesome.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael

valve Getting Stuck...?

Lately when I have been rapiding the knee down or up the rapid movement continues after I release the clutch lever.
I then have to toggle the up or down lever to get it to stop the rapid movement. It is hit and miss, doesn't do it every time but often enough to be troublesome.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael

I have the Cinci 2LR-- use it every day. Curious if you pull the lever for rapids full out or do you modulate such that you are in rapid but lever is not fully advanced?

Is your hydraulic fluid at the proper level and not contaminated with any coolant?

Maybe someone else can chine in here-- but I'm thinking sticky valve here-- but would like to look at a manual to see the inside of the rapid mechanism.

I use mine on several jobs that without a reliable rapid a part crash would be eminent.

C Mike

Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael

There is a rapid clutch adjustment on the right side of the knee. I do know some old timers do a 10% high detergent motor oil in the knee or column .That gives it a slow clean out of varnish. Change the oil later, There is a rapid spring that may be weak too. Rapid down, you may need to reset the brake on it. Most machines drift down after release of rapid. Rapid up and not coming to a stop is something different.

Mike,
I did not get a notice that you had replied, thanks for the reply.
The problem happens on up or down rapid movement, it does not happen on table left or right or in/out.
If it is the rapid clutch that needs adjusting would it affect just the up/down movement?
How is the adjustment done?

Michael

Is the rapid not stopping up and down. Most old machine need a rapid brake adjustment for stopping the weight of the knee going down as a drift. If up is doing it too, not sure about that problem. If its doing it in all rapids in and out, table left and right and the knee up and down, That would be rapid spring, sticking rapid valve. Does it have a solenoid on the right side where the rapid is ? Sometimes the pin in the solenoid will mushroom and cause a rapid problelm.

The problem happens on up or down rapid movement, it does not happen on table left or right or in/out.

Danil,
The rapid on my machine is either fully on or off, there is no way to feather the movement or slip the clutch like on my K&T.

It seems to me that the up/down rapid engagement is sticking and it will only disengage when I turn off the up/down feed lever.
I will check all fluid levels and report back, I don't use the machine every day and often not even once a week. Sometimes I will have a ten minute job and
other times a one hour job, it certainly doesn't put in 8 hour shifts.

Thanks for the help it would be nice to know what is causing this and if it is easily fixed.

I want to update this thread with some positive news.
I have now determined the cause of the rapid misfire, it was the operator, or me.
I started to examine what was happening when the rapid messed up and I finally figured out that I was turning off the feed direction lever while in rapid motion.
This causes the up/down feed to continue in rapid mode until you jog the feed lever again.
It happens when I have my hands on the feed lever and the rapid lever at the same time, I turn off the feed lever just before the rapid lever and that does the trick or bad trick as it happens. So now I am careful to let go of the rapid lever first and then all is well.

Michael

Back