Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cincinnati 10" x 24" Universal Hydraulic Grinding Machine

I recently bought this machine, and took delivery this week. It's from 1954, serial# 4U2B5B-39, model ER.

I had been looking hard at three cylindrical type grinders. One of which was a Norton 10x20. I began asking questions about it in the "abrasive machining" category of these forums, resurrecting this old thread:
    Anyone really familiar with Norton grinders?

I missed out on the Norton, so took a shot on the Cincinnati 10 x 24. You know, sometimes things work out for the best. I got a nice deal on the machine and shipping combined. I received this machine a few days ago and I couldn't be happier. Just walking around it, you can see the thought and detail into it, as well as the craftsmanship from a period where quality and detail meant something.

5.jpg7.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More pics, these after I received it, lighting is a little poor.

16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg18b.jpg20.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the brass tags are intact, and add a really nice element to the machine.

19.jpg21.jpg22.jpg26.jpg27.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More of the controls tags:

24.jpg23.jpg25.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The machine appears to have been decommissioned for a while, but appears to have been well care for up to that point.

Just running the traverse by hand to inspect the ways on each end, they are not chewed or scratched up, nor do they look like they are digging trenches. They really look nice, though I don't see frosting or flaking.

The machine was missing some items. Tailstock, ID drop down attachment, dust cover extensions for each end of table, and any wheel mounts are gone. Though ID motor is still with the machine.

And good news, a forum member has contacted me, and I think we will have a deal on a tailstock.

Kind of a funny side note. A specification manual from 1947 calls the machine 10" Hydraulic Universal grinding machine, while a 1966 parts book calls it 10" universal hydraulic grinding machine.

34.jpg35.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's still at my work. I'm going to try to get it to my home shop this weekend. I was a little nervous when i saw the footprint from the 1947 specification manual. But seeing it and sticking a tape measure on it, with table centered, its about 6' long and will need traverse travel. About 5' deep at its deepest point, but the whole machine is not 5' deep.

I picked up some items on ebay from a fella who had them, a steady rest, two follower rests, and another item I'm not sure what it is.

15.jpg30.jpg32.jpg31.jpg33.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a nice looking machine, and good deal on finding the tooling on ebay! The one item is a table mount wheel dresser.

8. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have that machines younger brother as a project machine. The biggest difference I see is the later model moved the hydraulics to a stand alone tank with an electric control panel.

Good find on the steadys and follows. I was considering buying them. Let me know is you can't use them for some reason.

10. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    I have that machines younger brother as a project machine. The biggest difference I see is the later model moved the hydraulics to a stand alone tank with an electric control panel.

Good find on the steadys and follows. I was considering buying them. Let me know is you can't use them for some reason.
    Funny you mentioned it. Before receiving it, I had been watching youtube vids on similar machines. I saw some clearly had what looked like seperate hydraulics and coolant tanks. I was thinking they might be more pieces I was missing, haha. With it in hand now, I see it must be setup up a bit different.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Machinery_E View Post
    That is a nice looking machine, and good deal on finding the tooling on ebay! The one item is a table mount wheel dresser.
    Now that I see it, I can't un-see it, haha. I had been looking at the square-ish end, and missed the diamond tip on other side.

Post Thanks / Like

The other two may be Cincinnati's version of these Universal Back Rests - makes possible the grinding of small diameter skinny shafts - without push-off (between centers of course)

Thumbnails are B&S equipment at work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000645sm.jpg   p1000652sm.jpg  

14. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Needed to move the machine from my work to my home shop. Figured I'd rent a trailor and drag it there myself. Requested a quote from a local machine moving company to pick it off trailer and set it inside my garage. $1300. I thought that was a bit steep.

I toyed with the idea of hiring a roll off tow truck and basically letting it slide to the ground. In the end I decided to build a temporary lifting structure where I could pick and drop straight, and actually have it very close to its final floor position.

I already had some timber for a different project. So i rented a trailer for 2 days and purchased some addition timber. Each cost about $165, for a total of about $330 for trailer and extra timber.

I got 6 x 6's and set them on trailer, but put lifting straps under the four corners before setting machine on. Then used large forklift to set machine on. Towed home. built the two sides of structure keeping main pillars level, and backed trailer in. Placed the two sides as close to the trailer as possible. Ran 6 x 6 beams over the top. Secured and stabilized it. Then used four chain falls to pick directly from above the four straps af the 6 x 6's the machine was sitting on.

Once up and trailer pulled out, I carefully lowered evenly, so as not to swing weight. Once down on the ground, I was about 8-10" off the mark of final resting place. I slid all four chain falls to the side and began to pick slowly, this dragged the machine to the spot I wanted.

I then used a heavy pipe to slide under. Lifting one side at a time, I removed the 6 x6's and placed 4 x 4's. Touchdown. 6000 lbs down.

Also, a random pick of my cat securing the house while I was working.

36.jpg37.jpg38.jpg39.jpg40.jpg

16. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post