What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 207 MK...general questions.

Miguels244

Diamond
Seems to be sized about right for my needs.

Oddly the search turns up very little general information about these machines.
What are they?
Hydraulic feed?
Problematic?
Amazing but weird?

I believe they were only made in the factory here in the UK ,they are a block machine ie separate base and column ,nice enough to use but they can be problematic ,yes hydraulic feeds. They always used to be cheaper than the "proper ones (they would have been when new) but more recently they seem similar in price ,doesn't necessarily mean anything as condition is the main thing.

The feed and rapid clutches will round off their teeth and loose good smooth engagement. Machine is more a tool room machine not much for production.

Since I want a tool room tool, that's not a problem.
Rounding clutch teeth on the other hand.

How does the hydraulic feed work.
Screws running servo valves running rams?
Motors spinning screws?

207MK's are a leadscrew driven machine, leadscrews driven by electric motors but CONTROLLED hydraulically. The clutches are hydraulic. I have had two of them in my shop, and still
use a vertical 207MK regularly. I disagree, not really a toolroom machine as it's a pain in the rear to change toolholders on it, no easy way to tap with it quickly like you can with a Bridgeport.
I bought one of the few CNC 207MK's realizing that under the CNC control was a manual hydraulically controlled mill. In ONE evening I had it converted to a push button operated
manual mill, and removed the CNC controls. I put a Devlieg Flash Change adapter in the spindle so I don't have to use the drawbar to change tools. Not as heavy duty since I converted the fifty taper
spindle to the 40 taper Devleig flash change tools, but WAY easier to use. I haven't had any problem with the CNC mill as far as clutches or gears, and I use it for roughing out castings.

I think the 207MK is more problematic than the older style #2 or #3 size mills. I have one of them that I just can't seem to break. I like the rounded head on the older mills too. The big square head on the vertical
207MK is just IN THE WAY. Ergonomics- simply not as nice as the older mills. Plus there's just something wrong when the base is a fabrication. But having pointed out the pitfalls, for what I use it for it's been a great purchase.

My first 207MK was a horizontal with a multiangle Vertical head. Came out of an automotive plant in Michigan. I liked it at first but it was a real problem child. I had the knee apart a couple of times, replacing a gear and clutches.
Ran it for a year or two and then lost rapids and then the feeds. Completely took the knee apart, found a hidden hydraulic filter, but had replaced the mill with other machines, I've kept it in my bone pile, thinking SOMEDAY, I'm gonna have time to get it running.
I REALLY liked the full universal Vertical head that could be swung around and installed very easily. Hate to admit it, but it's probably been out of service for 8- 10 years. One of the mills I replaced it with was the CNC Vertical 207MK.
I think it led a blessed life, because the CNC controls probably kept the machine from operating most of the time! So it's a relatively LOW hour machine. I heard from Cincinnati that it was the ONLY one of these mills they put a CNC control on.
They KNEW the machine !

I think the controls are a negative 5 volts, not sure. You have to keep the sprocket in the right place for the engagement of directions. I would put a bigger snap ring on the shafts.Clutches have to have the right stack for engagement. All things on the clutch shaft needs to be in place and tight. The three bump spindle start when going to different speeds needs to be there. Manifold needs to be in good shape and good O rings.

I have been looking at an older model 2MK with a round vertical head coming up for auction as military surplus. Having never owned a mill I am somewhat concerned that apparently there seems to be no user, maintenance or service manuals available for this older machine. The base the column the spindles and the table appear to be heavy duty though which leads me to believe it was designed for somewhat heavy milling. However, after reading your post about the problems with hydraulic controls and other posts about these machines I think I better pass on bidding. It sounds like they might have been somewhat complicated to work on not to mention the weight involved.

I don't know what got into me, but I bought this machine today. I figure between this machine and the machine in my bone pile,
I MAY be able to put together one good machine again. I DID like the horizontal with the double angle vertical head.

So the government liquidation machine has a powered overarm, with another double swivel right angle head. If the double swivel head is
good, I hit a home run. CNC mills have made a real dent in the popularity and usefulness of these semi heavy small mills. It may turn into
another boat anchor, but at 2k PLUS shipping, I don't have a lot to lose.

Back