What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 2MI Knocking sound

tneK

Plastic
Hello all

My first forum post. Have been using this great forum in the past to find information. And there is alot!

Have been working for while with a Cincinnati milling machine that has not been used for many years. After some cleaning and a change of oil, it's finally started.

Unfortunately there is a knocking sound when it idles. I think I can locate it from the feed mechanism. And when I use the fast feed the knocking sound stops.

Overview.JPGFeed.JPGFeed_BOM.jpgLower_Feed.JPGLower_Feed_BOM.jpg

Prepared a video where the sound can be heared. ==>

Anyone who has any experience with this issue or have any good ideas? Should I just relax and start to use the machine, or does it need to be sorted as fast as possible?

Best regards Kent

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. Yeah a missing tooth could be the cause.

I have looked into the manual. Looks like the upper feed drive bracket is easier to dismount then the lower one.

It's only going to get worse, so the question may be: does it work now? How do you plan to use the machine? Production or a hobby mill? The answers to these questions may help you make a decision as to what the best course of action may be. We have a 2MI Vertical Head machine at the shop, and I absolutely love it. Surprisingly accurate for the beast that it is, and very powerful.

Getting in to repair those feed mechanisms is no easy task, and parts may be hard to find in Sweden. There are some good options here in the states for used parts which I can point you towards if you decide to go that route, or if it would be helpful.

Good luck,

ECJ

Sounds like back lash in the gear set, the knock could be damaged gears causing back lash.
That could explain that you hear it at idle with no load. Some times gears sets that are damaged will be somewhat less noisy under a load.
Years ago we purchased at auction a used Niagara roll machine that appeared to be in good condition and the price was right. Got it set up in the shop and when powered up we could hear a knock at no load, a search of the internals found that one of the drive gears had at one time knocked off a few teeth and someone had brazed some new teeth on the cast iron gear. The repair looked fair however the replaced teeth were off just a little in there pitch. We put up with it for a some time and then made a new cast gear.

Thanks for your answers EJC and dana gear.
My plan how to use the machine is as an resource and complement to my other machines in the work shop. I have a small hobby based business beside my ordinady work. So the machine does not need to support life ;-) . But I like machines in good working order.

I have not yet descided how I will proceed. Finding spare parts could become an issue as EJC mentions.

Still looks like the upper feed drive bracket would be possible to dismount. And hopefully find some answers in there.
Anyone who have disassembled either the upper or lower one?

Best regards Kent

Update: found the issue

Have not had time for a while to look at this. But earlier this week I tried really hard to localise the sound and I felt confident that it was behind the upper feed bracket.
So today I had some time and went ahead and disassembled the upper bracket. This is what I found. Feels really good to have found the cause.
Now the interesting part is to find parts and get things repaired.

2017-06-18 12.21.03.jpg
2017-06-18 12.24.11.jpg
2017-06-18 12.21.21.jpg
2017-06-18 12.23.51.jpg

That is not a uncommon brake. I have repaired several of them over the years. Parts N Parts has used parts, call 419.331.5658, You hay have to make spacers for the back lash.

Good luck

Thanks cmike for your info. I will definiely get in contact with Parts N Parts for a quote.

Removed the parts. Have now asked Parts N Parts if they have some spares. Lets see what they say.

Does some one else have any idea where I can source parts? In Europe?

2017-06-21 05.08.39.jpg
Cincinnati_2MI_parts_needed.jpg

Just a little info regarding how things turned out.

Both Parts N Parts and Industrial Surplus had parts in stock. Parts N Parts quoted me $1600 + shipping. And Industrial Surplus $500 + shipping.
It was an easy pick. Still juicy prices of parts.

It was a smooth purchase from Industrial Surplus. And got the parts assembled and the mill is now running quiet.

Thanks for all the help.

Back