What's new
What's new

Cincinnati camelback pillar drill - uk

MattCooke

Plastic
Hi all, first post on here. I am looking for some advice.

We are arable farmers in Sussex, England, and suffered a huge fire back in September. We had several old tools and machines that were completely destroyed in the fire and we are hoping to replace them.

The one I am enquiring about, and please forgive my lack of correct terminology, is a Cincinnati Camelback Pillar Drill. It was powered by canvas belts through a small electric motor. I have a picture of it having been in the fire and I hope I manage to attach it to this thread.

Does anyone know of any UK suppliers or contacts who may be able to help me find one of these?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

MattCincinnati Camelback.jpg

They come up for sale from time to time in the USA but the exact model your looking for maybe hard to get. The drill press you have is just very old and no longer made.

Do you think you could get the burnt one back into shape replacing the bearings, giving a good clean up?
How often will you use it?
What about a new one? if you use it a lot.

Matt

In the UK Denbigh is probably the most common make of that style of machine. Made for many, many years and always strong, durable and accurate despite being considered a completely obsolete style for maybe the last 40 years of production. Always good vale for money which is probably why there are many about. See http://www.lathes.co.uk/denbigh-drills/, No 1 and 20" .

If that was power feed box one new equivalents just don't exist. Anything close in basic drilling capacity will be north of £500 new.

If you think a refit might be viable but need some help on the machining side I live in Sussex too and, being retired guy with some spare time, could probably help out.

Clive

Hi Matt, AM also a farmer with a Canedy-Otto 21 camelback similar vintage burned up in a shop fire. In the process of rescuing it, which yoIMG_1657[1].jpgIMG_1674[1].jpgIMG_1675[1].jpgu might want to consider if you have the time. The damage was not as bad as thought. Regards, Earl

Thanks for your message and sorry to take ages to reply. Unfortunately it was sited next to 2 acetylene tanks which exploded and took care of the drill - it was badly bent, misshapen and have no idea what kind of heat damage it suffered. All it was good for was scrap unfortunately.

We don't use it that often - but when we did there was no better tool. It never got hot and always did the perfect job. Suppose they don't make them like they used to.....

Thanks anyway for your reply.

Hi Clive, thanks for this. Very difficult to find a near replacement. I will look at Denbigh, thanks for the advice. Might drop you an email for further advice if you are allowed to give it out on the forum?

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Back