What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Hydrashift questions

jermfab

Cast Iron
I had my first "oops" with a large machine tool today. A friend is moving shops and his 15" Hydrashift got away from us. Fortunately(???) it rolled onto its back, where the taper attachment bore the brunt of the impact. So far the only noticeable damage is the Angie adjusting bracket for the taper attachment and the tailstock quill locking handle. Both look to be easy silicon bronze fixes.
Unfortunately the machine fell on the back of a stakebed truck and with the short forks on the forklift the only means we had to right the machine was lifting by the spindle. I'm fully aware this isn't the best practice, but it was our only option. Once righted we used slings through the web of the bed to lift it and drive the truck out from under it.
I'm now on the hook to go through the lathe and assess the damage, fix whatever's been broken and bring it up to snuff.

Looking for a manual in any form. Digital scan would be my preference, but beggars can't be choosers.

Also will appreciate any advice or input about these machines.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a scan of the factory Preparation for Use, Operation, Maintenance, and Parts List that came with my 1963 vintage 12-1/2 Hydrashift,a scan of the original factory sales brochure for the Cincinnati Hydrashift lathes, a scan of the electrical schematic (my machine has fast and low speed ranges for the motor, so it may differ from yours), and a scan of the Pullmore clutch manual that I pulled from the web somewhere. PM me your email and I'll send all four, but be warned, these are very large PDF files (508mb for the factory manual, and 107mb for the brochure).

the spindle will be fine I wouldnt worry about picking it up by the spindle. We have done it hundreds of times. I dont want to hear about how its bad, that horse has left the barn.

the spindle will be fine I wouldnt worry about picking it up by the spindle. We have done it hundreds of times. I dont want to hear about how its bad, that horse has left the barn.

I agree that you'd have a hard time damaging the lathe by righting it using the spindle. The Hydrashifts are tough. Good luck with your repairs, and let us know how it turns out.

Jack

Back