What's new
What's new

Cincinnati vertical age estimating

pressbrake1

Stainless
Hello can anyone put a age/ model to this mill Ive not seen one with that capstan type handle before.
It comes in with a deal im negotiating so any info would be appreciated.Screenshot_2017-01-21-19-35-36.jpg

I have books from the 50's with ones like that in so I would say around war time.

Regarding the model it is a big one by the look of it as I think the smaller ones have dovetail slides so I would say No4 ,If you have any dimensions for the table I may be able to be more certain.

Here is a scan from '23 with a capstan wheel. OP photo could be from between the wars. No photo of left face of column makes it a moot question.

Attachments

• CMM 23 Vert.jpg
    CMM 23 Vert.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 162
Thanks for replies . Ive been told there is a plate stating it was rebuilt in 1963
Its almost a freebie in with the deal and im not short of a vertical
Mill but if it still works its worth saving from the pot and I have a soft spot for big Cincinnati's and k&t's

You'd be hard pressed to beat a " Cincinnati " in my opinion, even an old one. I'd put my bet on 1945 to 1955.

If it's been re-built I'd enquire who did the job. Some rebuilders do most of the work with a paint brush.

Regards Tyrone

They were in my neck of the woods but I can't say I've heard of them. Could be they closed down before my time. I was still at senior school in 1963. I be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt going off the placard.

Good luck with it anyway.

Regards Tyrone.

They were in my neck of the woods but I can't say I've heard of them. Could be they closed down before my time. I was still at senior school in 1963. I be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt going off the placard.

Good luck with it anyway.

Regards Tyrone.

I also assumed that about the plate showing there must have been a certain validity in their claim

I just checked companies house which showed they lasted from 1960 to 2000 then changed name/absorbed and lasted until 2010 , which was a dangerous year for business

Look on the right top corner of the table face and see if there is a number. May have to use emery to see it.

Im picking the junk up next weekend so I ll be able to look at numbers then.
Im kind of excited as theres cabinets full of stuff as well as machinery and maybe a powered rotary table for the cinny

Looks like a late 30's thru the 40's dial type to me. Mostly they were making wide knee high powers by the 50's and this isn't one.

20170211_123342.jpg20170211_123238.jpg

Picked up stuff today, cinny plates show war finish giving a fairly good date range.Paint is terrible but thats irreverent to me.
I was shocked to find excellent ways etc.
I was just going to leave it there but its to good

You will need to be able to read the serial. This may be on bottom of tag - or elsewhere - like front face of table on right end

A typical dial type serial in that period will start with 2A or 4A

The number that can be partially made out at bottom of tag appears not a typical Cinc serial - not enough letters

OOOPPS - keep forgetting this is UK

A 1940 dial type serial will start with B 4012 if made "over yonder" (Birmingham)

Your 4010 is an unknown, not mentioned in serial book - a wild guess may just be another location but still 1940 - you have to remember they were under daily bombing attacks at least part of that year - some facilities may have just "gone away"

Fair chance is the UK version of the 2A which is Medium Speed Dial Type - 450 RPM top end

Last edited:
Thanks JO ,Shes a old lady. It must have worked hard during the war to get a rebuild when twenty odd years old.
I think im going soft as I might even paint it!
Its only got a 48" table but its much heavier build than my no2 1950's vertical

Ive picked up everything other than the mill, the vendors forklift could only get it a few inches off the ground so was unable to load it.
The machine is a no2 with a 50" approx table. Im wondering if anyone has a fairly accurate idea of the weight of the actual table as Im thinking of removing it to reduce weight
Thanks

I'd guess BARE it would go 350 Lb / 170 KG. A solid blob of cast iron 4 X 12 X 50 would be a bit over 600 Lb / 280 Kg

Ive picked up everything other than the mill, the vendors forklift could only get it a few inches off the ground so was unable to load it.
The machine is a no2 with a 50" approx table. Im wondering if anyone has a fairly accurate idea of the weight of the actual table as Im thinking of removing it to reduce weight
Thanks

Back