What's new
What's new

Cincinnati vertical mill oil leak feed/spindle stopped moving

Chrisg84

Plastic
At my shop we have this old dinasour cincinati mill. All manual. We use it for cubing. Anyways the spindle seemed to disengage as well as the feed. Every time we try to turn the feed on we here a pop in the back like its trying to engage but fails. Also ita leaking oil out of the back. The main motor has a belt that cinnects to a gear box . That shaft on the gear box just dumps oil. So im not sure if there is blockage or what. Our maintenence guy took it apart and checked the seal. I have no ide about these machines and how the fluid flows , like through what pipes , And what to look for or what to test.
Is there anyone with basic knowledge on these machines and how the systems on them work?

Do you have a serial number. You may have your drive clutches going bad in the pulley bracket. If it is old, you may have the rollers going bad and not riding up to engage the clutches. Can you post a picture of the machine. The serial number should be on bottom of the oil tag, or the right front face of the table.

Do you have a serial number. You may have your drive clutches going bad in the pulley bracket. If it is old, you may have the rollers going bad and not riding up to engage the clutches. Can you post a picture of the machine. The serial number should be on bottom of the oil tag, or the right front face of the table.

I have to get a picture of the machine monday. I think its missing tags . I'll check monday. And take pics if the part leaking.

Sorry ive been doing this from my phone. Anyways the oil is coming out from behind that sprocket the seal was checked and seems to be fine. It was put back together, oil added and then was working for a little bit. Then the feed stopped working and the spindle seemed to be going into neutral again.

More pictures

That machine may seems old to you, but its around the 60's. The serial number is on the RIGHT HAND FACE OF THE TABLE. If I could see the top of the machine, there may be a chain driven pump under a cover. I think your scavanger pump is not working. I need more information. Serial number or a picture of the whole machine . May need oil in the column.
I did find a number i never noticed before . 2J FJ - 5R -6 - 17

20171122_113630.jpg20171122_113214.jpg
20171122_113256.jpg20171122_113314.jpg
20171122_113334.jpg

If you are in the back, the serial number is on the electrical panel door above your head or the stand alone electrical panel. It is on the right top face of the table.

I cant take a photo from the top at the moment. So are you saying if it has a scavenger pump and its not working then the oil floods out that vase on the bottom? Does a scavenger pump have ita own electical motor to power it or is it powered off one of the shafts or spindles?
Btw thank you for all your responses so far. 20171122_115410.jpg

Their is a scavanger line to the left of the drive pulley. It goes around to the front and is behind the oiler. They have belts running of the knee motor drive shaft. I need to see the right front of the machine to make sure. The oil is coming out of the pulley bracket becasue the scavanger is not pulling the oil out of the pully bracket. Most of the time it leaks when you stop the machine.Your oil is not in the knee where it can be use to operate the spindle. Check your private message.

Need a picture over by the knee motor on the right side of the knee.. There should be a plate about a foot square with a sight gage in it.

Your machine has a 50 H.P. motor with a 20 inch table width.. Made in1965. Lots of people would buy that hog. Scavanger

Your Vercipower machine probably lost the scavanger pump. Either the belt is off or the scavanger pump or it has lost the ability to return the oil out of the pully bracket to the reservoir in the knee. Then the knee doesn't have enough oil to run machine operations such as spindle, etc. Hardest part of this repair is taking the motor and its riser plate off to repair. You can take a look, by taking the cam oiler plate off on the right corner of the knee to see the belt and pump to start.

Back