What's new
What's new

Dean Smith and grace?

Sandrion

Plastic
Just recently bought a Dean Smith and Grace, sight unseen, for $100. I know nothing about it specifically, as the deal was made over the phone. What have I gotten myself into, what should I look for specifically, if anything, and most of all what info do you guys need to help me figure out what exactly it is I have bought!

Pictures coming soon.

Just recently bought a Dean Smith and Grace, sight unseen, for $100. I know nothing about it specifically, as the deal was made over the phone. What have I gotten myself into, what should I look for specifically, if anything, and most of all what info do you guys need to help me figure out what exactly it is I have bought!

Pictures coming soon.

Model number or at least rough swing and c-to-c distance would be a help.

DS&G (UK, originally) became part of Monarch Machine Tool. They HAD made lots of high-grade "engine", even toolroom-grade conventional manual lathes and then - concurrent with Monarch's ownership - went over to DS&G designed, MTW branded NC controlled slant-bed production lathes, so a seriously big difference in whatcha got and what it is of any use for is possible!

Mind . .at a hundred bucks, I'd ha' probbaly rolled the dice, too. Partout or scrap value, etc.

:)

PS: Older, conventonal, DS&G are usally "homed" in the Monarch forum. On merit. Good lathes, they were.

Later ones, its common ownership!

:)

Thanks for the insight!
Should I ask for this to me moved to the Monarch sub-forum?

I have been told its an older lathe, conventional styling. I will take pictures when I see it and post them up.

As far as I know DSG never made a small lightweight lathe ,so as long as it is not too much trouble to get it to the scrapyard you can't go wrong.

Back