What's new
What's new

Feed issues again, Cincinnati 2M horizontal

Mike C.

Diamond
The 2M at work is having trouble feeding under a load. Was hogging the edges of some flame cut 1 1/4" plate recently with the 6" facemill and it would quit feeding. I could not get the feed to kick back in without stopping and restarting the spindle. Plenty oil, so I am wondering if it is the dual disc clutch in the knee needing adjustment. I'm not pushing it super hard, maybe .100 depth of cut, so I know it should take that easily.

If for sure a 2M, they go back to early twenties. Feed box parts on pages16 and 17. Shows the Safety Clutch which has spring loaded balls

The "hub teeth" on one of those related gears were gone on mine and had to make an insert with new clutch teeth

1M same, just shorter table

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2097/5019.pdf

The 2M at work is having trouble feeding under a load. Was hogging the edges of some flame cut 1 1/4" plate recently with the 6" facemill and it would quit feeding. I could not get the feed to kick back in without stopping and restarting the spindle. Plenty oil, so I am wondering if it is the dual disc clutch in the knee needing adjustment. I'm not pushing it super hard, maybe .100 depth of cut, so I know it should take that easily.

If it is a MI, first I would add MORE oil to knee....

The sight glass might be clogged...

Looking at my MI manual seems to show all safety clutch parts, are only accessable from rear of knee after knee is removed.

Whenever my feeds becomes intermittant, adding oil gets it going again...

Cmike is the goto guy on these...

Yeah, hoping he might chime in. Plenty oil. It is only under heavy feed conditions that it kicks out and only after running a while. That's why I am wondering if it is that Twin Disc clutch on the operator;s right side of the knee tat may need adjusting. Just don't want to screw it up by getting the clutch too tight.

That should be your rapids only clutch, it is independant of regular feed system...

Strictly mechanical drive there, no hydraulic plungers or such. Rapids would still work with no oil in knee.

Safety clutches, are spring loaded plungers in dimpled hub, kind of deal...

Not likely to slip unless, they have rusted/stuck partway down in their bores..

Use water based coolant on that machine?? Return coolant troughs can get clogged, overflow... And make a mess of $$$$ parts..

Knee oil pump might have problems with sticking plunger, or check valve.. Might be able to get to that, under rear flat cover under knee..

After running a while, oil thins, pressures drop... Feeds quit.. Is it correct oil??

I am only looking at manual, Cmike has been in there...

It is a # 2 ( 205-12 ) MI Plain Mill Model LL year 1952. Do you have a motor on the knee? If not, In the feed box gearing you have the old style safety clutch. That drives your gearing.

Last edited:

Back