What's new
What's new

K&T 2CHL Oil Sight Glasses

Don Kinzer

Cast Iron
I want to replace the oil sight glasses in the style B overarm support and the knee on my 2CHL horizontal mill. According to the replacement parts manual there are supposed to be washers on either side of the sight glasses but the one in the knee has only one washer and the one in the overarm support is missing both washers.

Does anyone have ideas for finding or fabricating suitable replacement parts?

Thanks.

I want to replace the oil sight glasses in the style B overarm support and the knee on my 2CHL horizontal mill. According to the replacement parts manual there are supposed to be washers on either side of the sight glasses but the one in the knee has only one washer and the one in the overarm support is missing both washers.

Does anyone have ideas for finding or fabricating suitable replacement parts?

Thanks.

When I replaced the sight glass in the knee of my 3H, the rubber washers were fused together and appeared to be one washer. I had to peel them apart from each other. They’re part 93 in the picture. It’s be an easy thing to check for the one that you do have.

fc61fe3884cb176f1c79f31addf02b46.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I replaced the sight glass in the knee of my 3H, the rubber washers were fused together and appeared to be one washer.
Thanks for that tip. Inspecting the washer carefully revealed a split line and they did peel apart - one thinner than the other.

Did you purchase a replacement sight glass or make one?

I made them based off of a suggestion I read in another thread. I think it was Ramsey that recommended 50 mm welding goggle lenses. I purchased these off Amazon.com, and then used a horizontal belt grinder to reduce the OD to the required size. I would recommend using some RTV sealant or something similar when installing these, as I had some leakage around mine while flushing with kerosene. As far a replacement for the rubber seals, I would recommend a thick buta-N oring on each side of the lens. It should be pretty simple to find the correct dash number based on the required OD and cross sectional diameter. You may not need the sealant with new orings, but the original rubber gaskets may need them.

-Keith

I made them based off of a suggestion I read in another thread. I think it was Ramsey that recommended 50 mm welding goggle lenses. I purchased these off Amazon.com, and then used a horizontal belt grinder to reduce the OD to the required size. I would recommend using some RTV sealant or something similar when installing these, as I had some leakage around mine while flushing with kerosene. As far a replacement for the rubber seals, I would recommend a thick buta-N oring on each side of the lens. It should be pretty simple to find the correct dash number based on the required OD and cross sectional diameter. You may not need the sealant with new orings, but the original rubber gaskets may need them.

-Keith

Hello: It was me who used the plastic goggle lenses.... I sanded to size then used cork gaskets if I remember correctly....I have some sheets of cork material for making gaskets for sediment bowls on engines...If you can use red silicone that would work as well .. Ramsay 1:)

Hello: It was me who used the plastic goggle lenses.... I sanded to size then used cork gaskets if I remember correctly....I have some sheets of cork material for making gaskets for sediment bowls on engines...If you can use red silicone that would work as well .. Ramsay 1:)

I thought so, but didn’t want to take the time to look up the thread. Sorry I got your name wrong!

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back