What's new
What's new

Help with Cintimill

dstankus14

Plastic
I recently purchased a Cintimill and a bunch of tooling for a very reasonable price and could use some help identifying it and possibly fixing an issue or two.

I have posted several images of this mill and hope someone can confirm that this is a 205 Cintimill with some sort of independent mill head. The only serial number I can find seems to be on the mill head but that info only applies to that part and not the entire mill I think.

Also it looks like the knee crank is missing but I am not sure if something is broken or just merely missing. A very long rod seems to come out of the center of the knee crank shaft and I cant decide if something is broken off in there or what. I have posted a picture of the rod for reference.

Please have a look if you have the time and think you might be able to offer some confirmation on the machine model and/or insight on the knee crank issue including where I might be able to get a replacement crank. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• mill6.jpg
    mill6.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 321
  • mill5.jpg
    mill5.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 253
  • mill4.jpg
    mill4.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 206
  • mill3.jpg
    mill3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 213
  • mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 171
Look on the right front face of the table, upper right corner. The knee elevating crank is missing, There is some more parts too. Your missing crank clutch ( handle ). clutch, two taper pins, ( the part that the handle goes in too. The rod is your safety kick out rod. Look at the cross slide next to it. There is internal snap ring and plug in the center. When you fine a crank, copy that item. It is only 1/4 inch thick. two diameters and copy the O.D. of the plug.
It may be a 205 Cintimill or Cinova 80. It has a I.O.S. ( independent overhead spindle ).

Go back to the shop and look around.

Ok - thanks for the info - I finally did manage to find a serial number - its 8J512P5P-69. I think this means that its a 205. I have attached an illustration of the knee crank to this message. I think I see what pieces you are speaking of - parts number 2 to 24 in the illustration. Is this what you are referring to?knee_illustration.jpg

Last edited:
Its a 205 - 12 plain cintimill. Born in 1964. You need 1 through 19. Not sure if you have 21 through 24, or 34 and the two taper pins ( 48 ). You have the kick out rod 61. Take out the set screw 25 in part 20. It may be spring loaded.

I would think that would be at the site you bought it. Usually they are in a drawer, or laying around the machine.
Look at the print for the cross slide. Some parts may be the same as the knee crank..

Thanks again for the info. I bought the machine from a shop that was purchased recently by a new owner. The old owner died suddenly and the new owner just wanted to get rid of the thing. The guy I bought it from seemed to be having issues with the business in general and has not responded to my requests to be allowed to look through the place or to have him or one of his resources look around again.

The next thing I need to do is to go through the electronics. I only have a 3 HP VFD and obviously thats not going to cut it. Would you happen to know where I would be able to get my hands on a wiring diagram for this thing? So far I have only been able to get the rapid traverse to activate - but not the main motor (as its way too much of a load) nor the independent spindle. I think the contactors in the thing have crusted up or something - it seems like the more I mess with it - the better it works as at first the rapid traverse would hardly move but then suddenly began working great (but turning in the wrong direction which almost crashed the table as the limit kick offs were on the wrong sides of the table and the table just kept moving to the limit and beyond). I changed around two of the input leads and now things are going in the right direction.

Originally it was wired for 440 but I have been able to convert the feed motor and the spindle motor to 220. I seem to have a control diagram listed as 'A-193338'. Some how it appears that the 'control' system is 110 volts but I dont seem to see a transformer in the electronics cabinet so thats still a mystery to me. Thanks again for the help.

I now have an additional problem - I am having issues trying to convert the main spindle motor from 440 V to 220 V. The motor is wound in a 'y' configuration and has 9 traditional leads. I have attached the wiring plate image to this message. Everything seems clear except for the fact that there are 3 additional leads. Are these an overload protection device or something? Any ideas?

Leads are labeled L1, L2, L3 (input three phase source), traditional leads 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, and then three additional labeled B7, B8, and B9.

Currently in the 440 V configuration B7 is tied to 7 and 4, B8 is tied to 6 and 9, and B9 is tied to 5 and 8.

In order to go to the low voltage configuration I need to tie three of the leads to the source inputs, and then tie the remaining three leads together. I am just not sure where to tie the extra 3 leads. Any help would be appreciated. These leads seem to stay inside of the motor and do not exit and go to anything else.

cropped_5hp_motor.jpg

Back