What's new
What's new

Help with Powered Rotary Table Attachment on 2K

nt1953

Hot Rolled
I am beginning to work on the 2K I purchased a while back and I could use some help with removing the remains of a powered rotary table attachment. You can see in the first two pictures shown below.

Right Front.jpgPowered Rotary Table.jpg

I do not expect to ever use this attachment and would like to remove it and return the mill to a standard configuration. My questions are: What to do with the auxiliary power shaft (shaft on the left in the picture below) and whether the cap shown on the table is for this mill.

It seems like the auxiliary power shaft will pull out of the mill, but I am concerned that removing it may cause something to fall out of position inside and expect that the holes that it passed through would then need to be covered.

The cap shown on the mill table is similar to the cap that is supposed to cover the longitudinal feed screw, but the caps shown in parts manuals have a three hole pattern that match holes already drilled and tapped in the table end cap. The cap shown only has one mounting hole, but it looks like it may line up with a threaded hole below and to the right of the auxiliary power shaft.

IMG_20170710_155429.jpg

On the smaller machines such as my 2hl, the gear was already under the table when I added the low lead attachment.. Shaft just slid in place before the low lead was mounted on the unit.. I don't think there is anything that will fall out if you remove the shaft at least not on the smaller machines... I have a 2h plain with no aux shaft in it and there is a gear in plain view.. Look on the other side of the table and see if you can see the end of the shaft and if it will just slide through..If you remove the drive bracket you will probably need a cover to go over the end bearing....Ramsay 1:)

My 307 & 2CHL are the same as Ramsays. The gear is there and I can see it spin but that's about it. The end cap on top of the table looks similar to the ones I have on both my machines. If by any chance your willing to sell the aux. shaft, I would be interested in buying it.

Andy

Thanks for the replies.

I slid the shaft out and found that the collar between the gear and the table end cap was something someone just put in. It is too big for the shaft and has a keyway. I also noted that the clearance between the shaft and the table end cap is pretty large (probably .020") so either there is a good bit of wear (none noticeable on the shaft) or the hole was never intended to be a bearing. I don't know what the assembly is supposed to be as I have found no parts breakdown of this configuration.

I have decided to make a cover for the ends of the feed screw and the auxiliary feed shaft. So I will leave the shaft in...sorry Andy. Maybe the next owner will have need of it.

All good thanks. The hole in the table is just for clearance. The end of the aux. shaft is held in location with the low lead or right angle drive bracket.

Andy

Here is a cover I made for the K&T longitudinal feed shaft and auxiliary shaft that had the gearbox for the rotary table. I ended up using sections of auto exhaust pipe to make it. It was the only thing I could find that would fit both shafts. The auxiliary shaft is unsupported when the gearbox is removed, so I made a Delrin bushing to support the shaft in the housing.

IMG_20180111_152621.jpg IMG_20180111_152633.jpg

Could you post the serial number and some photos of the inner parts of the drive bracket that you removed. I have been looking for one of these right angle drive brackets for my 2H size machine. I believe these units are constructed so as to fit several size machines. I may end up trying to build one, so the photos would be helpful. Thanks.

Bob

Bob, Somehow I deleted all of the pictures I have taken of this machine. I would be glad to take more to help you out, but it is unclear to me what drive bracket you are talking about. Are you talking about the rotary table gearbox that mounted on the end of the main table?

Serial Number 37-5000: Machine number 37 in a lot of 75 (Lot 5000) Model 2K Horizontal Mills completed in September, 1946.

Bob, Somehow I deleted all of the pictures I have taken of this machine. I would be glad to take more to help you out, but it is unclear to me what drive bracket you are talking about. Are you talking about the rotary table gearbox that mounted on the end of the main table?

Serial Number 37-5000: Machine number 37 in a lot of 75 (Lot 5000) Model 2K Horizontal Mills completed in September, 1946.

Sorry if I was unclear, I am interested in photos of the insides of the right angle drive bracket attachment that fits to the RHS of the milling machine table.

Each K&T attachment has a separate serial number stamped into it which is different than one for the 2K machine itself. The serial number is stamped into the attachment and hopefully the serial number lot book will allow me to determine which version of drive bracket you have, and whether it could be used on a 2H size machine.

Sometime back, another member posted pictures of the insides of his drive bracket, but has since sold it, so I was hoping for some more detail of the insides. There are I think 3 gears inside, and I was hoping for a tooth count and possibly diametrical pitch.

Bob

Could you post the serial number and some photos of the inner parts of the drive bracket that you removed. I have been looking for one of these right angle drive brackets for my 2H size machine. I believe these units are constructed so as to fit several size machines. I may end up trying to build one, so the photos would be helpful. Thanks.

Bob
On page 27 you may find some helpful information...

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2098/6636.pdf

Ramsay 1:)

Thanks Ramsay1,

I don't think I have seen that particular version of drive bracket. That bulletin is dated 1968. I have been looking at the older style drive brackets, but thinking about simplifying them by removing all/most of the adjustments to fit several different machines.

Bob

Thanks Ramsay1,

I don't think I have seen that particular version of drive bracket. That bulletin is dated 1968. I have been looking at the older style drive brackets, but thinking about simplifying them by removing all/most of the adjustments to fit several different machines.

Bob

If you look at the page you will see brackets divided by category....They should be peculiar to the machine as listed.. Don't think you will have much luck altering them to fit others.. Ramsay 1:)

Bob
Here are the pictures requested. There are 2 gears in the housing and one on the aux shaft. The DP is 10. The upper has 40 teeth and the lower gear has 58 teeth. I am not likely to ever need this gearbox so if anyone wants to talk me out of it, let me know. Shipping will be expensive.

IMG_20180116_140542[1].jpg IMG_20180116_140551[1].jpg

IMG_20180116_140602[1].jpg IMG_20180116_141459[1].jpg

Back