What's new
What's new

How do handles come off Gallmeyer & Livingston No. 25?

oliverdude

Hot Rolled
I have a Gallmeyer & Livingston No. 25 surface grinder that I need to remove a handle from. Just the handle, not the whole hand wheel. I've turned, pulled, pushed and cussed it with no success. I did not get too aggressive with it for fear of damaging something. It turns in the wheel, but doesn't come out. Any know how it's supposed to come out?

In general, handles on hand wheels are either threaded in or are a press fit. If you don't see where it's threaded in, it's probably a press fit. That means rigging up a way to grab it and pull it out.

I have had some so stuck that I was forced to drill a small hole on the back side, and use a pin punch to pop them out.

Your mileage may vary.

More than 25 years of observation has left me with the impression that a fork truck is the most efficient way to remove any machine tool's handles and handwheels.

Not sayin'... Just sayin'... :rolleyes5: :)

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

More than 25 years of observation has left me with the impression that a fork truck is the most efficient way to remove any machine tool's handles and handwheels.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Exactly how the handle from my 2K was "removed", right in front of me, the morning I arrived to pick it up. The jackass driving the forklift looked like he came straight from the bar back to work. I really wanted to kill him and put him out of his misery, right then and there.....cost his boss $1000 off the price I agreed to pay because he bent the shaft, too.

I've got a G&L 25 in the die room and I think it is a taper shaft press fit.If you can wait until Monday maybe the parts book will show it.
A FL bent both the long and cross handles but I straightened them in place with out removing them from the wheel.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Not the method I was looking for, but I know what you mean. Seen it several times.

ratbldr427, I have the manuals, but they were no help.

I'm going out in a few minutes to try getting them out again.

Take a picture of it will you. Many times those old machines have been painted so many times , set screws and taper pins get covered up. scrape off the paint around the handle Ive see cometimes there are frost plug covers pressed into the outside of the handle and you have to get it out to see a cap screw or philister screw. Rich

Well, they were pressed in. One is a replacement and had more press fit that made it harder to get out. I knew the other one was threaded in with, get this, a 1/2"-12 thread. Who the hell would do that!? I realize that it was built in 1940, but I've never ran across a 1/2"-12 thread in all the old machinery I have worked on. Looks like I'm going to be making a full set of handles and stems. I'll get pictures tomorrow.

I had some handles on a vintage machine that were very nicely made, but were a goofy thread. I had a bunch of handles in the shop that were a bigger size, so I just bored out the handles and tapped to the 3/8" thread. I didn't feel like single pointing new handles. 15 minute repair, and no one but me knows the difference.

Brown and Sharpe made their own fasteners with goofy treads so you had to buy the replacements from them. It was a real pain when we rebuilt their screw machines as we usually replaced all the used screws.

You may want to check out Carr Lane and used be called Reid Tool (new owner and new name) as they sell pre-cast iron cranks and handles that you can finish to fit your machine.

Well, they were pressed in. One is a replacement and had more press fit that made it harder to get out. I knew the other one was threaded in with, get this, a 1/2"-12 thread. Who the hell would do that!? I realize that it was built in 1940, but I've never ran across a 1/2"-12 thread in all the old machinery I have worked on. Looks like I'm going to be making a full set of handles and stems. I'll get pictures tomorrow.

I have a Steptoe shaper with 1/2-12 threads.

CarlBoyd

Glad to hear you figured it out, normally on something like that if it works I leave it alone.
1/2"-12 was probably more common than people realize on machine tools and tooling, had some Armstrong lathe holders that use that size for the set screw and some 1" stub/shell mill arbors that had that thread also. I learned here that size is still available in England under BSW so I was able to source then on Ebay, thankfully I didn't have to make what I needed or modify all the tooling.
Dan

Back