What's new
What's new

Hydrashift

Where is the model number don't know if l have a LET or LR.

What is an "LET" Hydrashift model? I have a factory Hydrashift sales brochure, and it makes reference to four variations: engine lathe (probably the "LT"), toolroom lathe (probably the "LRT"), raised head lathes (not available in all sizes), and tracer lathes.

The difference between the engine and toolroom models was in the standard features. The toolroom lathe included a micrometer carriage stop, a steady rest, a large face plate, and a ball-type cross feed stop, none of which were standard on the engine lathe, but could be added.

Hello Whoop,

Look inside the near side (operator side) flat of the tail stock end v-way and you should see stamped 3 sequence numbering. The first ( in my case) 5 numbers is a serial number then a dash then year (in my case 73) then dash then month (in my case 3). Meaning my machine was built in March 73, which makes it an LR model. I have come to find out thru research that LRT models came as the first generation of Hydrashift models in the 60's and LR models came later I believe late 60's early 70's. Find that serial number and call Cincinnati and verify. A word of caution though, you will not get much help from them but I bought a manual that is a copy from the original from a guy in Missouri that sells on AMZ, fast shipped and spiral bound for about $50 worth every penny, but unfortunately not gonna wow you with info. You will love this lathe though but get it level and I am happy to share what I can.

Hello Whoop,

Look inside the near side (operator side) flat of the tail stock end v-way and you should see stamped 3 sequence numbering. The first ( in my case) 5 numbers is a serial number then a dash then year (in my case 73) then dash then month (in my case 3). Meaning my machine was built in March 73, which makes it an LR model. I have come to find out thru research that LRT models came as the first generation of Hydrashift models in the 60's and LR models came later I believe late 60's early 70's. Find that serial number and call Cincinnati and verify. A word of caution though, you will not get much help from them but I bought a manual that is a copy from the original from a guy in Missouri that sells on AMZ, fast shipped and spiral bound for about $50 worth every penny, but unfortunately not gonna wow you with info. You will love this lathe though but get it level and I am happy to share what I can.
Thanks for posting that info.

The Hydrashift sales brochure that I have (which only refers to "Hydrashift" and not "LRT" or "LR") is dated 4/62. The operation and parts manual that I have is marked "LRT" on the cover, but has no printed date that I can find, only a handwritten "May 8, 1963" on the cover, which is likely when the first owner took delivery. The serial number on the bed is stamped "1-W2DSM-23".

Lathe ( Manual ) On top of the tail stock end of bed between front flat and the V way.

The 1W2 is a 1/2 " OR 13 " lathe. The 5M is 1963. I don't have anything about the D in the serial number.

Back