What's new
What's new

Jones & Lamson No. 5 Turret Lathe

inwoodcutter

Cast Iron
Just picked this up locally. My first turret lathe. It's a super clean machine with no serious wear or crashes evident. My brother and I are excited to put this one to work. I was suprised that it's as old as it is. The war production tag says 1942. Any one have one of these? Any quirks I should know about?

One specific question I have is about rotation. As wired the machine has a whine running forward. In this setup the clutch lever is pulled towards the chuck for forward. Neal noticed if he wired it up to where the forward rotation is when the clutch lever is pushed away from the chuck the whine is quieter. What is the right wiring for rotation? I assume it's with the lever towards the chuck for forward. Does the internal lube pump need a specific rotation? Any ideas on what the whine is coming from?

Thanks,

Dan

Attachments

• 20160209_180013.jpg
    20160209_180013.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,952
  • 20160209_180027.jpg
    20160209_180027.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 20160209_180146.jpg
    20160209_180146.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 589
  • 20160209_180255.jpg
    20160209_180255.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 717
I have a 1942 8A-5 that looks close, just 50% bigger and with way covers and a barfeeder.

Often phase rotation can be established with the coolant pump.

We found an old instruction book that mentioned the forward rotation being engaged when the shift lever is pushed away from the chuck. So we re worked the wiring and ran it like that. Also took the gearbox lid of to see what was actually going on. With the way we have it now all the input shaft and clutched shaft spin the same direction when forward. They counter rotate in reverse. It's a bit smoother and I don't see any complications set this was so we'll leave it. It is very quiet considering all those spur cut gears.

I'm wanting to be able to set this up as a bar feeder as well as a chucker. We've had plenty of work in the sub 1.5" dia size. Anyone have or know of a collet assembly for these? How easy would it be to get a W&S or Bardons & Oliver to fit this? Is it just making a spindle adapter? Neal and I have talked about making an L1 nose for it so it's interchangeable with the rest of the chucks and collets on our other lathes.

Dan

Referring to TOOLS by W&S, the typical collet was "push-out" and closed by a closer that bolted to your A type spindle nose

Such systems use a MASTER collet and shelves or bins full of three piece COLLET BUSHINGS

The issues that arise is that among the welter of such collets made for W&S, you would have to find one with a closer that matched your spindle nose AND collets that fit in your spindle bore. At the very least, this would possibly require bushing your spindle bore to suit the collets.

Then you could start to wonder about the bar feeder system:D

I would guess that your J&L nose is A1-8"

I'm wanting to be able to set this up as a bar feeder as well as a chucker. We've had plenty of work in the sub 1.5" dia size. Anyone have or know of a collet assembly for these? How easy would it be to get a W&S or Bardons & Oliver to fit this? Is it just making a spindle adapter? Neal and I have talked about making an L1 nose for it so it's interchangeable with the rest of the chucks and collets on our other lathes.

Dan

From a Turning stand point, you now have the Lathe equivalent of a Bulldozer in your shop. With a 3 jaw on it equipped with 2 piece jaws, you can use soft jaws which comes in handy. Handy for poking large holes (Spade Drills) and hogging
down diameters, and other heavy operations like grooving (face and radial) that normally cause smaller engine lathes to whimper and chatter.
If you get lucky and manage to collect the parts for a collet/barfeed setup you'll also find it can be a great aerobic workout machine, none the sort you'll ever find at any health club.

From a Turning stand point, you now have the Lathe equivalent of a Bulldozer in your shop. With a 3 jaw on it equipped with 2 piece jaws, you can use soft jaws which comes in handy. Handy for poking large holes (Spade Drills) and hogging
down diameters, and other heavy operations like grooving (face and radial) that normally cause smaller engine lathes to whimper and chatter.
If you get lucky and manage to collect the parts for a collet/barfeed setup you'll also find it can be a great aerobic workout machine, none the sort you'll ever find at any health club.

I agree, she's a hoss, even compared to our other two lathes; an American Pacemaker, and a Lodge & Shipley Powerturn...:D

Already getting that workout. Feeding pipe through the chuck. 45" lengths cut to 9" pieces. Under 3 minute cycle time to turn, chamfer, thread, index out, part & repeat; to the tune of 10 hours of run time.:ill:

Dan

Dan

OOOH boy, the box tools in the tubs will whip that size material like nothing else once you get on to setting them. Oh, you may need to up the electric service if you get to heavy drilling or box tool cutting.

Good luck,
Matt

Back