What's new
What's new

Just bought a Cincinnati Toolmaster need help with info

bwbdub

Plastic
Hello I have been wanting a vertical mill for many years. After lots of looking for one in my price range (prices seem to be higher in my area) I just bought one. From the research I have done it is a 1960 Cincinnati toolmaster 10"x42" (1D I think) S/N 6J4V5J-42
I have many questions as I have never owned a mill or even used one. I just knew I wanted one. I bought a 13" southbend metal lathe a few years ago and have just loved learning machining. Anyway here are a few questions to start.

Am I right in thinking it's a 1D?

What size tooling do I need to get?
(It came with zero tooling)

What size vise is recommended?
6" 8"??

Cincinnati-Toolmaster-Vertical-Millfront.jpgIMG_6415.jpgm2.jpgm6.jpgm4.jpg

Hello I have been wanting a vertical mill for many years. After lots of looking for one in my price range (prices seem to be higher in my area) I just bought one. From the research I have done it is a 1960 Cincinnati toolmaster 10"x42" (1D I think) S/N 6J4V5J-42
I have many questions as I have never owned a mill or even used one. I just knew I wanted one. I bought a 13" southbend metal lathe a few years ago and have just loved learning machining. Anyway here are a few questions to start.

Am I right in thinking it's a 1D?

What size tooling do I need to get?
(It came with zero tooling)

What size vise is recommended?
6" 8"??

View attachment 188204View attachment 188205View attachment 188206View attachment 188207View attachment 188208

That is about 100x the machine your SB is. It's a lot more stout than a Bridgeport, that said, if you can get any tooling with it you should as it is some times hard to find.

Yes, it is a 1D Toolmaster.

The spindle accepts 40NMTB taper toolholders.

The pancake drive motor on the saddle feed box is missing!

It may have a coolant pump on the rear base of the machine.
At least, it has a drain line from the table to the base, suggesting a coolant pump.

A Kurt vise with a swivel base is appropriate: D688 for example.

Mike

I have a sales Catalog for it with all the specs and if you PM me your email address I can scan and email it to you. Here is the front cover of the BIG Cinc book I have that all types om Cinc. equipment, accessories and tooling. Copyright 1955.

Cinc. 1D.jpg

thank you Mike

yeah the seller informed me that it was missing.

any clue where I could find one?

The feed motor that drives the table, saddle, and knee is missing. Big obvious in photo #5 is the circular unpainted area with the hole in the middle.
John

Not sure where to find another motor -- but see if it matches the one used for the other feed. If so...and if you cannot find what you need, we might be able to make a deal. I'd send you my operating (three-phase) X feed motor in exchange for a complete high-power Bridgeport-style cross feed unit (new or good used is fine).

Maintenance/parts and operation manual pdfs are around the web...

Chip

nice. you can live without a saddle feed motor. the one on the table is more useful anyway.

get a 6" kurt-type vise, a set of strap clamps, and a 40NMTB taper TG-100 collet CHUCK w/ collets .a drill chuck.
and some way oil goes in the table and knee, as well as the feedbox on the quill. there's also a zerk under the
head for the motor. don't over-grease it or you'll foul the belt .(don't ask me how i know this fact)

a DRO would be your best bet . i have an anilam on mine, but something newer would likely fit just fine.

good luck.

got it home today

I got it moved into my Garage today. with No issues
I was a little nervous :o

now the search for tooling begins.

newmill.jpg
newmill2.jpg
newmill3.jpg

I just noticed there is only one spindle nose drive key. (the ones that stick down where you insert the nmtb40 tooling)
The other is missing as with the bolt. I have been looking online but have not found one yet. Do I just need to make one do you think?

Drive keys are something to make, soft or harden them.
The counterbore where the feed motor is mounted is for an oil seal.
When the seal goes bad the oil from the knee runs down the shaft and into the motor.
I do not remember if the motor shaft is splined or keyed. Easy to check with a flashlight.
John

thank you Mike

yeah the seller informed me that it was missing.

any clue where I could find one?

I would check out Graingers lots of pancake motors. Or just machine a adaptor plate for any motor. Myself I find no need for 3ph motors for a simple feed. Even the little
coolant pump is 3ph. like overkill to me...sam

I think I will adapt something. I took the x feed motor off to see what it looked like this morning. Seems to be pretty basic. I tried it on the missing y feed flange and it fit right up. They appear to be interchangeable.
6ce022dd042c281996afd3d197fa7d72.jpg
7ec27e459182b6385c53c8c5a7cff737.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a 7018 welding rod with some of the flux chipped off

I agree it kind of does. But the flux looking part is a rubber / plastic handle and the end that goes into the mill is about 2" long and is ground to a point.

Back