What's new
What's new

K&T 2CHL New to Me

Don Kinzer

Cast Iron
I recently picked up a K&T 2CHL Universal, serial number 7-7611. The serial number listing that I found at vintagemachinery.com only covers lots 3836 (Nov. 1941) to 6175 (Oct. 1948). Is there another list available or can someone tell me the usual details for this mill?

Also, I haven't yet figured out the differences between the 2H, 2HL and 2CHL models. Is there a source for such information?

Thanks.

Attachments

• K&T_2CHL_badge.jpg
    K&T_2CHL_badge.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 162
I forgot to mention that this mill is the 3HP model. It is currently wired for 440V but I'm in the process of changing it to 220V. I've ordered new heaters and I've pulled the motor in preparation for re-wiring.

Also, I'd like to find a parts diagram for this mill. I have one for 2CH but I haven't found one for the 2CHL. The X-axis handwheel has its handle broken off and I'd like to remove the handwheel to remove the broken stud and replace the handle. It wasn't immediately clear how the handwheel comes off - removing the center nut did not free it as I expected.

In brief, H is early (about mid thirties?) compact design. CH is improved. Its easy to assume the C is to mean "more suitable for carbide tooling"

1H/2HL are smaller/lighter than 2H

2HL has 6" longer table than 1H - the only difference

"Compact" as in smaller/lighter/handier/less power than the K series design

The later lot list on VM

Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - SERIAL NUMBER REFERENCE - Lot 6176-8525 | VintageMachinery.org

I recently picked up a K&T 2CHL Universal, serial number 7-7611. The serial number listing that I found at vintagemachinery.com only covers lots 3836 (Nov. 1941) to 6175 (Oct. 1948). Is there another list available or can someone tell me the usual details for this mill?

Also, I haven't yet figured out the differences between the 2H, 2HL and 2CHL models. Is there a source for such information?

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. Somehow, I missed the second part of the serial number list.

I did retrieve the installation and operation manuals from Vintage Machinery for the 2CHL and also what I thought was the parts manual for it but it indicates that it is for the "5 hp No. 2 Model CH". Of course, mine is the smaller 3 HP 2CHL. I've seen that one of the differences between the 5 HP models and the 3 HP models is that the overarms are smaller on the 3 HP unit - 2-7/8" vs. 3-5/8" on the 5 HP unit. I suspect that there are other differences also, not least I suspect that the main casting is larger as the 3 HP motor is a relatively tight fit in the motor bay on mine and I don't think a 5 HP motor would fit.

I'll go back to VM and try to find the parts manual for the 2CHL.

Thanks for the replies. Somehow, I missed the second part of the serial number list.

I did retrieve the installation and operation manuals from Vintage Machinery for the 2CHL and also what I thought was the parts manual for it but it indicates that it is for the "5 hp No. 2 Model CH". Of course, mine is the smaller 3 HP 2CHL. I've seen that one of the differences between the 5 HP models and the 3 HP models is that the overarms are smaller on the 3 HP unit - 2-7/8" vs. 3-5/8" on the 5 HP unit. I suspect that there are other differences also, not least I suspect that the main casting is larger as the 3 HP motor is a relatively tight fit in the motor bay on mine and I don't think a 5 HP motor would fit.

I'll go back to VM and try to find the parts manual for the 2CHL.

The lot number list is in four parts because the book I had to scan is so thick...It took me quite awhile to scan that book with a little flatbed scanner but now all can share... Enjoy! Ramsay 1:)

The 2CHL parts & operators manuals are on VM also.
I looked again on Vintage Machinery site and can't find a Parts Manual for the 2CHL. As I mentioned earlier, what I thought was the right one is actually a Parts Manual for the 5HP 2CH.

Does someone have a scan of the 3HP 2CHL manual they would send to me?

Thanks.

Back