What's new
What's new

K&T 2CHL - Oil Seepss Out of the Arbor Support

Don Kinzer

Cast Iron
I finally got around to flushing out the column and knee on this mill that I picked up a few months back. After putting new oil in both the column and knee, I also put new oil in the arbor support. That was a few days ago and today I discovered that most or all of the oil had seeped out. Prior to adding the oil, I had inserted a new running bushing in the arbor support. I expected that doing so would prevent the oil from leaking out. The running bushing fits well in the arbor support - I can turn it by hand with moderate effort and it doesn't wiggle about noticeably.

Is such leakage common and to be expected or is there something that possibly could be done to minimize it?

I've attached a photo of the mill taken by the previous owner.

K&T 2CHL.jpg

Like a Harley?

Kinda sorta like the old Harley Davidson with the hole in the bottom of the primary case to get rid of excess primary chain oil..Even after they came out with the sealed primary still spots of oil on the pavement...That's why they sold Harley Davidson Gunk.. lol.. Nature of the beast! Ramsay 1:)

Thanks. I'll keep it oiled on each use.

I usually just oil the running bushing and bronze if I just want to do a small bit of milling.. You have to take into consideration that this machine was made to run around the clock if necessary.. If you fill the oil cavity, oil seeps out for quite awhile... Ramsay 1:)

Back