What's new
What's new

K&T 2D knee motor removal

PaulO_UK

Plastic
I have recently acquired a K&T 2D. I am in the process of converting the electrics so that I can run it off a single phase. The spindle motor already has a VFD, and the (custom) Y feed is on a single phase DC drive. I am going to add three further VFDs to control the rotary, X and knee motors. The rotary and X motors are identical and include diagrams to allow me to rewire them from high voltage (wye) to the low voltage (delta) that I need for the VFD. The knee motor doesn't have such a diagram, so I was thinking of dropping the motor so that I can have a better look, rather than being upside down under the machine. Has anyone dropped the knee motor and has any tips? I'm guessing it just drives a bevel gear on the knee shaft. The parts manual and operating manual don't show the knee lift so I can't see for sure.

Has anybody got any idea how to remove the knee motor? I had a go last week, here is a crummy photo taken with my endoscope, access is quite tight.

2017-12-20-15-41-04.jpg

I had a go removing the socket head cap screws, hoping the whole lot would drop out, but it didn't. All that dropped out was a lot of oil! Looking at this drawing from the parts manual it seems obvious that I took out the screws securing part 151, and that that can't drop past the gear 138.
knee drive.JPG

I'm guessing my next port of call is to remove the hex head screws on the motor flange, although that will probably require a crow foot wrench. My concern is what will happen with parts 145,146 and 161-168? I'm guessing that all the gubbins around 151 is part of the oil pumping mechanism that is activated as the knee lowers?

The motor in there must be a replacement, as it is single voltage, and is rated at 1.5hp, the spec sheets seem to suggest the knee motor should be 1/2HP or 3/4HP. Is the standard motor sufficient or can anyone think of a good reason why my motor may have been uprated?

If removing this motor requires the shaft 137 to be removed I may well leave it alone, so any experience anyone has of removing this motor would be much appreciated.

Back