K&T 2D knee motor removal
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default K&T 2D knee motor removal

I have recently acquired a K&T 2D. I am in the process of converting the electrics so that I can run it off a single phase. The spindle motor already has a VFD, and the (custom) Y feed is on a single phase DC drive. I am going to add three further VFDs to control the rotary, X and knee motors. The rotary and X motors are identical and include diagrams to allow me to rewire them from high voltage (wye) to the low voltage (delta) that I need for the VFD. The knee motor doesn't have such a diagram, so I was thinking of dropping the motor so that I can have a better look, rather than being upside down under the machine. Has anyone dropped the knee motor and has any tips? I'm guessing it just drives a bevel gear on the knee shaft. The parts manual and operating manual don't show the knee lift so I can't see for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anybody got any idea how to remove the knee motor? I had a go last week, here is a crummy photo taken with my endoscope, access is quite tight.

2017-12-20-15-41-04.jpg

I had a go removing the socket head cap screws, hoping the whole lot would drop out, but it didn't. All that dropped out was a lot of oil! Looking at this drawing from the parts manual it seems obvious that I took out the screws securing part 151, and that that can't drop past the gear 138.
    knee-drive.jpg

I'm guessing my next port of call is to remove the hex head screws on the motor flange, although that will probably require a crow foot wrench. My concern is what will happen with parts 145,146 and 161-168? I'm guessing that all the gubbins around 151 is part of the oil pumping mechanism that is activated as the knee lowers?

The motor in there must be a replacement, as it is single voltage, and is rated at 1.5hp, the spec sheets seem to suggest the knee motor should be 1/2HP or 3/4HP. Is the standard motor sufficient or can anyone think of a good reason why my motor may have been uprated?

If removing this motor requires the shaft 137 to be removed I may well leave it alone, so any experience anyone has of removing this motor would be much appreciated.