What's new
What's new

K&T 2D Rotary Help

bsg

Titanium
What handle on the front of the machine moves the knee?
Also can someone tell me if this machine has a powered knee by the picture.
5809AFD5-F91B-4A4F-9411-693B69980CE8.jpg

Seller doesn’t know and I won’t be able to put my hands on it for awhile.

Thanks for any help!

Kevin

Possibly handwheel on right.

Photo too tiny to see if thee is a knee motor under that hand wheel - the motor is vertically mounted and in plain view. Thumbnail shows one with knee motor, which you can see the lower end of that motor with the conduit going to it

Useful pubs at VM - thanks to member Ramsay1

Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Model 2D Rotary Head Milling Machine - Operator Manual | VintageMachinery.org

Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Model 2D Rotary Head Milling Machine - Parts Manual | VintageMachinery.org

Attachments

• scan 02.jpg
    scan 02.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 154
Thanks John, looking at the manual, it does have the powered knee......did any of these machines have power feed on Y?

Forgive all the questions, never ran a 2D mill!

Thanks again,

Kevin

If you mean PF on the knee, no - not that I am aware of:)

They do cool things with that orbiting head - like these classy holes in rusty plate.

Thanks John, looking at the manual, it does have the powered knee......did any of these machines have power feed on Y?

Forgive all the questions, never ran a 2D mill!

Thanks again,

Kevin

Attachments

• DCP_0689.JPG
    DCP_0689.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 122
  • DCP_0690.JPG
    DCP_0690.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 103
What handle on the front of the machine moves the knee?

The handwheel on the right moves the knee. If you pull the handwheel out it disengages from the knee feed, you can then move the lever behind to rapid traverse up or down under power. Quite a clever design as you can only activate the power if the handwheel is disengaged preventing you from getting a handle in the crown jewels.

2Ds didn't ever come from the factory with a power feed on Y. Mine does have a power feed on Y, engineered and fabricated by the original owner, it uses a DC drive and an electromechanical clutch. There is a potentiometer to set the feed rate.

The handwheel on the right moves the knee. If you pull the handwheel out it disengages from the knee feed, you can then move the lever behind to rapid traverse up or down under power. Quite a clever design as you can only activate the power if the handwheel is disengaged preventing you from getting a handle in the crown jewels.

2Ds didn't ever come from the factory with a power feed on Y. Mine does have a power feed on Y, engineered and fabricated by the original owner, it uses a DC drive and an electromechanical clutch. There is a potentiometer to set the feed rate.

K&T hand wheels and cranks generally used the safety lock setup...Both of my horizontals have this type of lock out and it is a very good safety feature.. On the older 2D such as mine, there is no power to the knee.. The power used is your arm and as an old K&T employee told me years ago, it was a major gripe with users.. I really wish mine had power to the knee as it is a bear to raise if you have very far to go.. Ramsay 1:)

Back